England v Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's an interesting article here which could point to Rooney's lack of form so far, and why it could be about to change -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/24/altitude-wayne-rooney-england-world-cup

mangaman

Smokin Joe said:
There's an interesting article here which could point to Rooney's lack of form so far, and why it could be about to change -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/24/altitude-wayne-rooney-england-world-cup

The trouble with that argument is that they have played their last 2 games at sea level - and the Germany game is back at altitude again, so I don't quite get the guy's point :biggrin:

Personally I think he's injured - although we're being told he's not

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
mangaman said:
The trouble with that argument is that they have played their last 2 games at sea level - and the Germany game is back at altitude again, so I don't quite get the guy's point :biggrin:

Personally I think he's injured - although we're being told he's not
Apparantly it takes a little while for the effects of altitude training to wear off with some people.

Were I picking the team I would have him on the bench on Sunday to be used as an impact sub late on.

joch

It seems we're doomed. Paul the German octopus has given us the thumbs down ! Or should that be the tentacles down ?

paul predicted all 1st round germany games correctly.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
F*ck the octopus!

England to win 3-1

but we will have many battered/injured players and have some 2nd yellow card suspensions for the Argentina game!

darkstar

Wigsie said:
F*ck the octopus!

England to win 3-1

but we will have many battered/injured players and have some 2nd yellow card suspensions for the Argentina game!
Do yellow cards not restart after the groups stages? I though all cards received are dropped?

shrew

Wigsie said:
Now it is, they have just beaten ghana 1-0.

I have the confidence we can do it! we always play crap against the teams we should stonk and then pull it out the bag against a big team at least once before crashing out in a blaze of controversy! :evil:;)

Maybe it will be different this year?

LOL so true

Bill Gates

mangaman said:
I agree with him too.

I would drop Lampard and play Joe Cole on the left, Gerard and Barry in the middle and Milner.

And I would drop Rooney (who's not fit and has been our worst player in all 3 games) and play Crouch and Defoe - who play together very successfully for Spurs.

It won't happen - Rooney / Gerard / Lampard seem undroppable however crap they play.

Makes sense to me also. Plus sub Milner for Lennon with 20 minutes to go when the game will open up.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
why do the media seem to concentrate on the win in '66 and the semi final penalty losses in '90 and '96?

the 1-5 win in munich was surely the time that the hoodoo was broken, and it's been honours even ever since.

for some reason though, it barely gets a mention compared to hurst's hat-trick or gazza's tears…

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
alecstilleyedye said:
for some reason though, it barely gets a mention compared to hurst's hat-trick or gazza's tears…

Not in a major competition, which I think is fair enough really. A lot of people take qualifiers and out of tournament friendlies far too seriously.

Top Bottom