England v Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There is a distinct lack of quality in the England team, for example Danny Welbeck was England's number 9 last night, he score 1 premiership goal last season. How can a striker with that record be England's best?

i read an article i think during the last world cup about the difference between 'todays' England team and that from 1966... it claimed that the '66 team was made up of a squad of not necessarily the best of the best, but players who would simply make a good team.

I think these days, the squad selection is marred by potential media and fan backlash along the lines of "What no Beckham!!" "England insults Rooney.. he's not in the squad!" and the like. Real football is not FIFA (the video game), and a good team is not necessarily made of 11 'star' players.

ASC1951

Guru
i read an article i think during the last world cup about the difference between 'todays' England team and that from 1966... it claimed that the '66 team was made up of a squad of not necessarily the best of the best, but players who would simply make a good team.
There is a huge amount of luck in professional sport. In the long run these things balance out, but in the later stages of a single tournament the margins are small and we just can't say that England won in 1966 because they were the best side.
Overall, we do about as well as we should expect for a country of our size and sporting investment i.e to get to the knockout stages every time, but not usually beyond the quarter finals.

Top Bottom