England v USA..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shaun said:
Come on, you're not telling me England couldn't even win good old US of A :tongue:

Most of their players play in Europe, they're no soft touch. They led Brazil 2-0 last year in the Confederate Cup and Dempsey broke Cole's ankle early in the season. That was not an easy first game, only the dazed looking Green let us down.

Manonabike

Über Member
Is it just me that couldn't see all the positives the punters were on about. I thought England were poor in all departments - didn't use the ball well, gave the ball away cheaply, did not penetrate the US defence with real purpose..... We are talking about an American team with very average players and yet we didn't look anything special, let alone with aspirations to win the cup.

We began to play better and dominate the game maybe the last 15 - 20 minutes before they scored, the rest was very untidy. The second half was also untidy although a bit better than the first half.

England failed to press in numbers and the Americans did a much better job at that. England at times looked like a team that has no idea what to do when they have the ball.

Good points for me was GJ at right back..... he did some of the work that Lennon should have been doing - Lennon just didn't do enough for me.... he seems to be afraid of taking on players. Haskey did quite well I thought.... just need a cool head in front of goal.
Milner was awful. Gerar did quite well. Rooney tried hard but he needs better players around him. Cole, Terry, etc were ok I guess - collectively England were poor. The passing under preassure was awful.

The goal, why was the american player allowed to shoot? There were plenty of bodies there to close him down but everybody stood still with the exception of Gerar.

I think the 3 punters had instructions to look at everything in a positive way :-) but the truth is that England has to improve a lot to have any chance of getting to the final.

mangaman

Shaun said:
Come on, you're not telling me England couldn't even win good old US of A :wacko:

No we drew - like we did in 1966/ like Italy did in 1982 / Italy drew with USA in 2006 1-1 in the group, and all won the whole thing

Let's be cool here :tongue:

mangaman

Manonabike said:
Is it just me that couldn't see all the positives the punters were on about. I thought England were poor in all departments - didn't use the ball well, gave the ball away cheaply, did not penetrate the US defence with real purpose..... We are talking about an American team with very average players and yet we didn't look anything special, let alone with aspirations to win the cup.

We began to play better and dominate the game maybe the last 15 - 20 minutes before they scored, the rest was very untidy. The second half was also untidy although a bit better than the first half.

England failed to press in numbers and the Americans did a much better job at that. England at times looked like a team that has no idea what to do when they have the ball.

Good points for me was GJ at right back..... he did some of the work that Lennon should have been doing - Lennon just didn't do enough for me.... he seems to be afraid of taking on players. Haskey did quite well I thought.... just need a cool head in front of goal.
Milner was awful. Gerar did quite well. Rooney tried hard but he needs better players around him. Cole, Terry, etc were ok I guess - collectively England were poor. The passing under preassure was awful.

The goal, why was the american player allowed to shoot? There were plenty of bodies there to close him down but everybody stood still with the exception of Gerar.

I think the 3 punters had instructions to look at everything in a positive way :-) but the truth is that England has to improve a lot to have any chance of getting to the final.

England did OK I reckon - Argentina were a bit jittery - the only other team of of 6 to have won are South Korea. Does that make them the best team we've seen yet - of course not.

This thread is like people slagging off Premiership teams for being useless at the end of August :tongue: Let's see if we can get through first everyone.

Crackle said:
Most of their players play in Europe, they're no soft touch. They led Brazil 2-0 last year in the Confederate Cup and Dempsey broke Cole's ankle early in the season. That was not an easy first game, only the dazed looking Green let us down.

Green made a howler but we didn't score enough anyway.Goalkeepers make mistakes as do the rest of the team.

mangaman said:
This thread is like people slagging off Premiership teams for being useless at the end of August :tongue: Let's see if we can get through first everyone.

So how long have you been watching England?

Aren't I allowed to be negative if I want to?

I don't expect too much from England (now) but yes they have their good nights...few and far between.Tonight wasn't one of them.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Lets be honest the whole start of the World Cup has been disappointing, with average games and bloody annoying vuvuzela blowing. England just joined in with the mediocrity. They should still qualify from the group so no worries there.

Sorry, lack luster not the sort of performance you would expect from future world cup champions

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mangaman said:
This thread is like people slagging off Premiership teams for being useless at the end of August

I am just calling every performance for any team for every game I see, exactly how I see them. I wasn't that impressed with the USA either. But that's what made England's performance even worse. They were troubled at the back by a guy who scored one goal for Hull last season, and held at the front by someone who played just a single competitive game last season and didn't even get picked by Newcastle when he was there on trial.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
hackbike 666 said:
Green made a howler but we didn't score enough anyway.Goalkeepers make mistakes as do the rest of the team.

How true. The finishing when we had the chances was poor.
2 Bookings as well.
The 'lads' didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.

Well they probably will get through to the next stage... where they'll make a swift exit.

On a positive note, Nigeria did well. We should give their goalie a UK passport.

darkstar

Nothing catastrophic, England actually showed some good passages of play. Result was a bit disappointing, but people have taken it really badly. Seriously people, sort yourselves out. Some seem to think it's the end of the world. nope, we are still odds on to make it through to the next round. Argentina looked far from impressive earlier, as did France. No team has particularly stood out yet. THIS IS THE FIRST GAME, it means nothing in terms of winning the cup.

mangaman said:
we dominated and drew

Norwegian TV must have been showing a different England - USA match to the one you saw, then!

England will progress to the next stages, but if they are to have a genuine chance of reaching the Q/Fs, S/Fs and, dare I say it, the final, they will have to play considerably better than the shamboloc performance they showed last night!

Heskey and Wright-Phillips should never be allowed near an England dressing room again, let alone an England shirt; the ball should be kept on the ground and quick decisive passing and players taking on the oppo. and getting to the goal line and crossing for the likes of Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Gerard etc.

Attitude needs to improve, as well. We've seen the swagger and arrogance displayed by our national football, cricket and rugby teams where their egos suggest that the match is there for the taking, only to under perform and be humiliated and surprised at the outcome!

There's a chance of progression, but to win: no! That's for Holland Argentina.

11mgwh2.jpg

Gerard chose the 'number of minutes' for his shirt and all went to plan...

efijb8.jpg

Green said:
"I have got the mental strength to put it behind me"

Ah, good!

Top Bottom