Enjoy listening to music whiist riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. I know its a bit of a contentious subject with some members to which i agree, but i do like listening to music whiist out on the bike.
I've been enjoying my lival smart helmet for the last year. It has in built speakers so i can Bluetooth my phones music to it. As the speakers are situated in the helmet it means i listen to music and hear the traffic around me.
After so long though the music does get a little repetitive so I've done the cardinal sin and bought a personal radio.
From past experience ordinary personal FM radios have been rubbish whilst out on the bike. The signal hisses and drops making it irritating to enjoy. DAB personal radios are expensive too, but the other week i came across a Goodmans personal dab radio in B&Ms for £20.
Its been absolutely fantastic. No bigger than a match box, really comfortable ear phones and the reception is flawless. It runs for much longer the 10 hours stated on a single charge.
I don't have it loud (for safety reasons) but the ear plugs really block out the wind noise and give a nice rich sound whilst muting the surrounding traffic noise to tolerable levels.
Well recommended if your looking for a cheap personal Dab radio.
I'll grab my coat and leave now before the flack comes.
All the best,
Johnny

iandg

Legendary Member
I use a majority DAB/FM/MP3 player with a 'running buddy' single earphone (so I can still hear traffic etc.). Had it a long time now and the player cost me less than £30. The only issue with the MP3 player is it plays one folder at a time and the tracks in order, there's no random play of everything on the microSD card.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
In the late 70s and 80s several handlebar mounted radios were available, and were de rigueur.

At risk of standing on a land mine, may I ask why it should be considered contentious?

Gunk

Guru
I’ve tried it on my Motorcycle as some of my riding pals have Bluetooth helmets. I bought an all singing, all dancing Schuberth helmet last year and added the integrated Comms and I just didn’t get on with it, I found the music distracting and I’ve decided that I prefer a bit of solitude in what is a noisy, stressful world. Cycling and Motorcycling allows me to switch off.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used to love listening to tunes while I rode. I had it cranked right up too alot of the time. Never once had a safety issue. Truth be told, I'd rather not hear the idiots in vehicles driving inches from my rear tyre.
I had to stop though because my front shifter works on friction alone and there's nothing worse than a grating chain.
And no I'm not going for that single chainset crap that's now "fashionable" because it's bloody stupid.

Seevio

Guru
I just use a set of cheap earphones that possibly have negative noise cancellation properties due to ensuring my earholes are slightly more open. It's ok for when I'm on quiet roads but approaching vehicles tend to prevent me hearing the tunes.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've a bit of tinnitus and loss of high frequency on the right side as it was considered a bit effeminate to wear defenders when I was in the army so they never supplied them. As a result, sadly, despite loving music I don't wear headphones.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I don't listen to music...

But I do listen to comedy podcasts / BBC Radio Comedy... I find that because it is just voice, I can hear my surroundings pretty well as well as enjoy some satire and sketch comedy. I just use the phone though, like all the kool kids...

Top Bottom