Enjoy listening to music whiist riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I’ve tried it on my Motorcycle as some of my riding pals have Bluetooth helmets. I bought an all singing, all dancing Schuberth helmet last year and added the integrated Comms and I just didn’t get on with it, I found the music distracting and I’ve decided that I prefer a bit of solitude in what is a noisy, stressful world. Cycling and Motorcycling allows me to switch off.

First thing I do when I get in the car (rarely!) is turn the radio off and crack the window open a smidge.

Nice to hear what's going on around you.

Smudge

Veteran
Not bothered if other cyclists listen to music or whatever whilst riding, but i wouldn't. A cyclist is pretty vulnerable on the road, so I like to have all my senses working fully to see & hear whats going on around me.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you listen to the radio can you hear traffic properly ?

I'm not a fan of it, or phones etc mounted on handlebars.
I like to focus totally on the road etc.

Just my preference.
As aforementioned in my earlier post, there are BS and ANSI minimum standards for noise intrusion and dB levels experienced by the occupants of car cabins, thus depriving the vast majority of road users of being to hear other traffic due deliberately designed in auditory exclusion, and they seem to manage just fine. If you seek more clarification than that and we ought to then take it to the appropriate forum.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I was a student in Wolverhampton in the 80s there used to be a guy walking around the Mander Centre with a ghetto blaster on his shoulder both speakers next to his face.
There's a guy who rides down Oxford Rd in Manchester with a ghetto blaster on the handlebars.

CPRam

Regular
I mostly don't listen to music, however if I know I'll be out for 4 hours + solo, I will sometimes put some tunes on so I'm not in my own thoughts for that length of time. Also I find music a great motivator for particularly hard rides. If I ride through a town or on a busy A Road I will pull my earbuds out.

It does obviously remove a key sense and there is no doubt that increases risk to a point, but I think if you pay attention and be sensible then it isn't really a major issue. I know that many will strongly disagree, but each to their own.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I was a student in Wolverhampton in the 80s there used to be a guy walking around the Mander Centre with a ghetto blaster on his shoulder both speakers next to his face.

I was at the Poly 1975 to 1979. When you were there, was the old fella still standing outside the Union throwing imaginary grenades at passing cars?

I tried listening to music once while skiing and realised it was making me ski even more idiotically than usual so I stopped in the interest of public safety. Certainly wouldn't do it on the bike as I need to hear traffic behind me.

iandg

Legendary Member
I was at the Poly 1975 to 1979. When you were there, was the old fella still standing outside the Union throwing grenades at passing cars?

I tried listening to music once while skiing and realised it was making me ski even more idiotically than usual so I stopped in the interest of public safety. Certainly wouldn't do it on the bike as I need to hear traffic behind me.
We just missed each other. Biological Sciences 1980-84. I don't remember the grenade man.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some members views on listening to music through headphones whiist cycling to be a big no no @Drago

It's down to hearing traffic - personally I wouldn't use one on the road. Would consider off road though, but you miss the sounds of nature, which is part of the pleasure. £20 for a DAB mini radio is a bargain.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I sometimes mount my Bose Micro Soundlink to my bars when doing short rides - it's nice in the summer riding along with some chilled out music as you ride to the pub!

straas

Matt
I've never been able to tell if an approaching car is going to hit me or not, purely by the sound of its engine - so I often ride with headphones.

Generally can't hear much except wind when I'm riding without. Always shoulder check before moving out and am pretty aware of my surroundings.

The one time I actually turn them off is narrow singletrack roads so I know if a car is approaching from either direction.

I've noticed a few cyclists use their ears alone when going through junctions, which has lead to a couple of close misses with me as I travel along the main road, so arguably less safe?

In answer to the Q - always use spotify on my phone, which is in my back pocket inside a recycled innertube case to protect it from rain/sweat.
Genre very mood dependent - sometimes grime, sometimes indie, sometimes trip hop - whatever really. I find I can't really concentrate on podcasts on the commute.

Drago

Legendary Member
Few cyclists look properly - look how many stare within 10 degrees of straight ahead when passing junction, parked cars, other dangers. Dreadful roadcraft in most cases.

Top Bottom