Enjoy listening to music whiist riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have both models of aftershokz - they dont really see that much use anymore. I tend to run a mono earpeice a bit like this one but shorter and without a mic.

51oXpG6Sz5L._SL1024_.jpg

Clips over the ear pretty securely. Sound quality isnt that great but its enough for the commute, long rides and i can still hear google maps screaming directions at me as well as everything else around me.

I wore it for the last DD ride connected to a really small MP3 player.

One thing i never liked about aftershokz is how uncomfortable they felt after certain periods if i had my helmet and glasses on.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I usually ride with headphones in and don't find it a problem; although maybe I'm just an irresponsible scumbag.

On the one hand I can't argue with those who postulate that having one more sense available to you can't be a bad thing; on the other I'm pretty defensive and observant, and wonder how useful hearing is to other road users - bikers in helmets, old duffers in cars with Radio 2 on so loud I can hear what Jeremy-tosspiece-Vine had for breakfast.. A lot of the time I can't hear naff all for wind noise anyway - most recently even when not moving!

I di flirt with the idea of a little trailer for the town bike just big enough for a car battery and a little rig so I can waft round town and share my love of Jungle with the no-doubt-enthusiastic public..

I encounter a guy occasionally who's pimped his mobility scooter with disco lights and a little rig; something that seems largely appreciated by his fellow shoppers :becool:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I di flirt with the idea of a little trailer for the town bike just big enough for a car battery and a little rig so I can waft round town and share my love of Jungle with the no-doubt-enthusiastic public..

These were pretty common occurrences on the old London Sky rides and Critical Mass rides. Though i dont quite agree with the format of CM rides and have never wanted to or taken part in them.

I think ive seen a guy towing a massive boom box on the back of his bike with a trailer during a Dynamo ride - not such common thing for DD runs these days.

I encounter a guy occasionally who's pimped his mobility scooter with disco lights and a little rig; something that seems largely appreciated by his fellow shoppers :becool:

I know of one guy in north london who rides a custom/modded mobility scooter that looks like a trike with its own built in ghetto blaster. He's an old guy so i think his son made it for him . I occasionally see him tearing around the streets in the Holloway Road/Finsbury park area.

wafter

These were pretty common occurrences on the old London Sky rides and Critical Mass rides. Though i dont quite agree with the format of CM rides and have never wanted to or taken part in them.

I think ive seen a guy towing a massive boom box on the back of his bike with a trailer during a Dynamo ride - not such common thing for DD runs these days.

I know of one guy in north london who rides a custom/modded mobility scooter that looks like a trike with its own built in ghetto blaster. He's an old guy so i think his son made it for him . I occasionally see him tearing around the streets in the Holloway Road/Finsbury park area.
Nice! I figured neither was probably an original idea - doesn't mean they're not worthy of emulating though :smile:

The trailer is something I'd really like to do, but in practice I struggle to sort the necessary things in life, let alone frivilous stuff like this. That and the reality would probably see me pushed off and robbed by the local smackheads; I suspect you'd be pretty vulnerable on a slow, heavy bike laden with consumer electrical items.

That said I have take an interest in speaker design videos on youtube and might have a spare car battery if I have to scrap my aging car soon for various reasons.. I reckon you could probably build something fairly decent on the cheap with used ICE bits off ebay..

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nice! I figured neither was probably an original idea - doesn't mean they're not worthy of emulating though :smile:

The trailer is something I'd really like to do, but in practice I struggle to sort the necessary things in life, let alone frivilous stuff like this. That and the reality would probably see me pushed off and robbed by the local smackheads; I suspect you'd be pretty vulnerable on a slow, heavy bike laden with consumer electrical items.

That said I have take an interest in speaker design videos on youtube and might have a spare car battery if I have to scrap my aging car soon for various reasons.. I reckon you could probably build something fairly decent on the cheap with used ICE bits off ebay..

cargo bikes are also an alternative. Some are also electric. There are tonnes of guides on youtube on how to build your own bluetooth speaker. There are some retailers that sell kits that you put together yourself and customise however way you want them. Otherwise Ebay has always been a great source for pre-owned audio equipment. I bought myself an older Yamaha AVR unit for £100 that had been barely used. JBL Bookshelf speakers for £40-80 a set.

Speakers are also pretty easy to repair so long as its not a serious electrical issue. Sometimes all it takes is a woofer or tweeter replacement to get them working again.

if you know what youre looking at and what to go for you can really score some good deals.

Car audio is the same. Some people dont want last years or the previous years models so they put it up for auction.

If you do ever get around to it. it would be nice to see how you get on.

Boopop

Guru
If you like the idea of cargo bikes and trailers with sound systems, you should try going for an iBike London ride. The Pride Ride in June is usually the biggest one :smile:
1584171925830.png

wafter

cargo bikes are also an alternative. Some are also electric. There are tonnes of guides on youtube on how to build your own bluetooth speaker. There are some retailers that sell kits that you put together yourself and customise however way you want them. Otherwise Ebay has always been a great source for pre-owned audio equipment. I bought myself an older Yamaha AVR unit for £100 that had been barely used. JBL Bookshelf speakers for £40-80 a set.

Speakers are also pretty easy to repair so long as its not a serious electrical issue. Sometimes all it takes is a woofer or tweeter replacement to get them working again.

if you know what youre looking at and what to go for you can really score some good deals.

Car audio is the same. Some people dont want last years or the previous years models so they put it up for auction.

If you do ever get around to it. it would be nice to see how you get on.
Thanks - didn't think of a cargo bike but tbh that'd be out from the off due to space and cost issues.

It's certainly a project I'd love to have a crack at but really just a pipe dream currently - will post on the forum if I ever get around to having a crack though :smile:

If you like the idea of cargo bikes and trailers with sound systems, you should try going for an iBike London ride. The Pride Ride in June is usually the biggest one :smile:
View attachment 508336
Ta - looks like fun :smile:

Top Bottom