Enjoyable, nippy, handsome steel bike,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a_nic_an

Hello all;
I'm looking to get a new bike, something designed for the rough Cornish roads and weather for my daily commute down country lanes and possibly for the odd longer ride.
I would like something that is fun while comfortable, nippy whilst hard wearing and preferably handsome in a traditional British way. My LBS love genesis and are very keen on the Croix de Fer, this seems like a great option. My only issue is that the new Croix has a slightly longer wheelbase making it more 'road' than it used to be so I assume less enjoyable on the compacted earth/gravel path type tracks we have around here. I sometimes take my boy out in a trailer on these type of tracks so it would be nice to have a bike that can handle them. Can anyone suggest anything else to look at?
Thanks for any help.

Booyaa

Veteran
Reading your first sentence or two I was going to suggest the Croix De Fer! No help from me I'm afraid.

vickster

Legendary Member
image.jpg
Yep probably although it is more road than track if wanting to travel at any speed

Very comfy on rough stuff though. Could probably add a more rugged tyre (I have 25mm pro 4 endurance) and still fit full mudguards

Or how about one of these pretty beasts if happy to buy remotely

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/pearson-a-cunning-plan-922.html#product_tabs1

OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

The equilibrium has great reviews. Am I right that it is very much a road bike? Is the croix de fer less so? I like the idea of something that would allow me to choose between a relaxed upright riding position for daydreaming and going slowly on a Saturday morning when I have nothing else to do whilst also allowing a faster ride for getting to work. The LBS. Said that last years croix was happy going off road, comfortable for pootling and fast for club rides - seems to tick all boxes especially as I have a road bike that suits me fine for fast rides with mates. Would the equilibrium offer any other benefits?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's still pretty upright, mine has a flipped stem too now

It looks much better than the croix (just avoid black)

Go test ride via your LBS (Note mine is not a stock spec, built from frame set)

Osprey

Guru
Can't recommend the Croix enough. I have a 2012 model which like you I chose for the pot holed South Wales lanes. Disc brakes add wet weather braking confidence. Add 28c gatorskins and full mudguards and its great for the wettest winter. Buy one, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello all;
I'm looking to get a new bike, something designed for the rough Cornish roads and weather for my daily commute down country lanes and possibly for the odd longer ride.
I would like something that is fun while comfortable, nippy whilst hard wearing and preferably handsome in a traditional British way. My LBS love genesis and are very keen on the Croix de Fer, this seems like a great option. My only issue is that the new Croix has a slightly longer wheelbase making it more 'road' than it used to be so I assume less enjoyable on the compacted earth/gravel path type tracks we have around here. I sometimes take my boy out in a trailer on these type of tracks so it would be nice to have a bike that can handle them. Can anyone suggest anything else to look at?
Thanks for any help.
A longer wheelbase would make it more stable off-road and much more suited for pulling a trailer, I would not use my short wheelbase 653 bike to pull one (and that is more than strong enough it would just handle horribly)

OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

All Croix owners seem to love them and that is good news about stability. However the Pearson also looks fab, I will have to look to see if they stock them anywhere in Cornwall.

vickster

Legendary Member
All Croix owners seem to love them and that is good news about stability. However the Pearson also looks fab, I will have to look to see if they stock them anywhere in Cornwall.
They won't, they have two shops in SW London

However, if you call the sheen store up with your measurements, ask to talk to one of the brothers, they'll happily discuss spec with you

simon.r

Person
Worth looking at Charge as an alternative to Genesis. At the risk of turning this into one of those threds where everyone recommends their own bike, I'm pleased with my new Plug 3:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
A

a_nic_an

Thanks all, the cycle to work scheme opens in feb so I've got a bit of reading to do before then.

My Battaglin Steel framed race bike came from Cornwall (Ricci bike chain in Redruth) and did plenty of miles on Cornish roads. Its 20 years old, so pretty durable. I have done plenty of 100 mile rides on it, so it is comfortable, but unfortunately it is Italian :smile: No help really!

Top Bottom