Enlighten me please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
A cyclocross bike is not built for comfortable long rides; it's for one-hour events and is quite sporty. A gravel bike is more of a rugged, stable road bike.
A gravel bike is part way between a cyclocross bike and a road bike, a bit more relaxed geometry , not as sporty, but more suitable for off tarmac than a road bike

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've reported elsewhere on CC but riding my Roubaix on gravel it's fine until the downhill bit when it feels sketchy and insecure. Somebody will be able to explain the geometry behind that.

freiston

Veteran

freiston

Veteran
Anything between a road bike and a mountain bike is a hybrid afaic,.... Gravel bikes are just hybrids with drop or flat bars.
That spectrum of bikes from mountain bike to road bike doesn't add up and depends on your defintion of mountain bike and road bike, making it no more valid than someone who defines a gravel bike as being explicitly different to a mountain or road bike. Otherwise it would follow that before the advent of the "mountain bike", all bikes were road bikes. Any bike manufactured after the advent of the mountain bike that could not be described as 100% road bike would therefore be a hybrid even if it were identical to a road bike manufactured before the advent of the mountain bike. 😉

Smudge

Veteran
That spectrum of bikes from mountain bike to road bike doesn't add up and depends on your defintion of mountain bike and road bike, making it no more valid than someone who defines a gravel bike as being explicitly different to a mountain or road bike. Otherwise it would follow that before the advent of the "mountain bike", all bikes were road bikes. Any bike manufactured after the advent of the mountain bike that could not be described as 100% road bike would therefore be a hybrid even if it were identical to a road bike manufactured before the advent of the mountain bike. 😉

They are still hybrids to me. Gravel and adventure bikes are neither road bikes or mountain bikes, but a combination of the two.... ie a hybrid.
The bike manufacturers make up these names purely for marketing and sales, these names sound cooler than just calling them hybrids.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Gravel bikes as a term encompasses a wide spectrum of different bikes. The steel frame of my Kona is based on the Kona Sutra touring bike,with the same relaxed geometry of a touring bike, but the clearance for wide tyres. Along with the large frame clearances, I also have a mountain bike orientated gearing set up with a SRAM 1x11 group set and hydraulic disc brakes.

Here in Northern Germany we are blessed with hundreds of square kilometres of forests, the tracks are a mix of gravel, mud and sand. Modern mountain bikes would be overkill on these tracks, but slow on the roads connecting the off-road sections, but a road bike would find the off road sections heavy going and bog down in the mud and sand. My bike is the perfect mix of road and mountain bike, fast and capable on the road, then able to fly along the kilometres of gravel and dirt roads with ease. Because of it's touring routes it's also a lovely comfy bike to ride all day and it makes a great off road touring bike.

IMG_20200328_121050544.jpg

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
They are still hybrids to me. Gravel and adventure bikes are neither road bikes or mountain bikes, but a combination of the two.... ie a hybrid.
The bike manufacturers make up these names purely for marketing and sales, these names sound cooler than just calling them hybrids.
Hybrid bike was a term invented for marketing and sales just as gravel bike is - you are accepting one marketing term as definitive without question or criticism and rejecting another because it is a marketing term. There is no spectrum with mountain bikes at one end and road bikes at the other (whatever it is that "road bike" means - there's disagreement in this parish on that too) and anything which is considered not to be one or the other isn't necessarily a cross between the two. When my father's roadster was designed a few decades ago, you can bet that the designers didn't decide to create a hybrid between a mountain bike and a "road bike", nor were Dawes doing the same when they made the first Galaxy.

Top Bottom