Erratic HRM with Bkool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevePurcell_SCC

My HRM starts, stops and drops to below 30 BPM then goes up again to a normal HR when using it with Bkool, I have extended my USB so the dongle is close to myself and the bike but still get erratic readings, Is this a Bkool issue ? would the battery cause this if it was going flat ? simple answer is I will change the battery, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

RickB

professional procrastinator
Can't say ive had any problems with HRM. Garmin unit and it's been rock solid anytime I've used it. Not something I've heard others mention before either. Hopefully the battery sorts it for you.:okay:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Sometimes the straps do not pick up too well because they are too dry. Some moisture on the pick up points seems to fix most non battery related poor signals.

I've had the same issue on garmin run, wahoo tickr and tickrX straps. Once you have a sweat on I usually don't see an issue.

I am using a Scosche rhythm+, which is optical, most of the time now though.

Last edited:

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
I am using a Scosche rhythm+, which is optical, most of the time now though.

I'm using one of those as well, it works quite well (I use it for bluetooth to the KICKR IOS app).

My Garmin HRM also works fine, I've checked the two against each other and they track exactly. However, the original Garmin strap was rubbish so I replaced it with a polar soft strap and I always wet my chest, under where the contacts sit, before putting the strap on (wetting the strap is less effective, as the water just runs off). This helps a great deal.

As theboxers says, this should not be a problem once you are properly sweaty!

Geoff

U

User33236

If you are anything like me I doubt you'll be having issues with the strap being too dry after a little while on a turbo :laugh:

I've been using the original style Garmin HRM strap on Bkool without issue and my wife uses the newer type, again without issue.

I'd try a new battery first as the only time I have had issues out on the road was when it went low. The newer Garmin Edge units alert to low batteries in ANT+ devices so can keep on top of them better now.

OP
OP
StevePurcell_SCC

StevePurcell_SCC

It seems to go worse when sweaty, had no problems through the summer when using it so I'm concluding I need a new battery, but thought I would of got more than 6 months out of a battery

U

User33236

What one do you have? The newer Garmin soft strap version quotes a battery life of approx 4.5 years based on 1 hour use per day!

Edit: cross post with above.

U

User33236

Didn't know that Stephen, it's the newer strap, and is that on the 1000 ? I have the 810
Just did a quick check on my wife's 810 and it doesn't seem to show battery status like it does on my 1000.

nodman7

over the last few years i've had a few new HR straps off garmin, they work well for a few months then start going erratic, battery change doesn't make any difference either, but if you email garmin about it they are brilliant, they have sent me new ones every time, i'm now on the very latest version which has changed since i got my garmin 1000, this one seems to be holding up, and you get them pretty quick and so far even out of warranty

OP
OP
StevePurcell_SCC

StevePurcell_SCC

over the last few years i've had a few new HR straps off garmin, they work well for a few months then start going erratic, battery change doesn't make any difference either, but if you email garmin about it they are brilliant, they have sent me new ones every time, i'm now on the very latest version which has changed since i got my garmin 1000, this one seems to be holding up, and you get them pretty quick and so far even out of warranty
I contacted Garmin this morning and there sending me a new one as the battery change had no effect, Impressed as I'm out of warranty, thanks for pointing me in that direction you saved me a few quid buying a new one :smile:

Top Bottom