Essential London Commuting item

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:eek:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Pfft it is but a camping knife.

Croydon, I am not surprised. You know that scene in Reservoir Dogs when they're all in a stand off, pointing guns at each others heads. I saw a similar scene to that in Croydon last year between two blokes, likely crack heads, both with no tops on, shouting and screaming at each other, but instead of pointing guns at each other, each one had a full size house brick and was waving it at the others head. I did'nt hang around to see the outcome, but expect it did'nt end well.

Reactions: mjr

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'll get my original comment in before this thread gets locked too.*

I've seen that video elsewhere and I suspect that this incident has its origins well before the stage where the car driver nearly hits the guy on the bike.

*I'm told the original thread suffered from racist bilge but instead of removing the posters spouting the bilge, the entire thread was deleted.

Tin Pot

Guru
They threaten my life with their car, I threaten their life with a machete.

Who is more wrong?

glasgowcyclist

They threaten my life with their car, I threaten their life with a machete.

I've looked at the video several times and I'm not convinced the knifeman's attack is a result of the driver pulling out. (Although it suits the agenda of a number of media outlets to portray this as cyclist v motorist road rage.)

It looks to me like the knifeman has recognised the driver, the driver has clocked this and makes a desperate attempt to escape. The guy on the bike is already stopped (and I'm not referring to the part where the video is paused briefly) when the driver makes his abrupt exit which, frankly, looks desperate given the nose to tail queue ahead of him and the island at the traffic lights.

He wanted out of there in a hurry and it wouldn't surprise me if they knew each other, at least by sight.

Or I could be talking complete bollocks, of course.

glasgowcyclist

I'd wondered what happened in this case and found that, having originally been given a suspended two year sentence which was ruled to be unduly lenient, the attacker was sentenced to three and a half years in jail.

As for the circumstances of the attack, it looks like I wasn't talking bollocks for once..

From the report:
"[The solicitor-general Robert Buckland QC] added that Gardner previously had "some animosity" towards the victim, Levar Gilbert, which "resulted in a disgraceful incident which caused real fear to people in the vicinity, not least the victim himself".

Police said Gardner pulled up alongside his victim's car on a bike before the man tried to drive away.

Upon seeing Gardner, the man attempted to overtake the stationary traffic.

He then drove on the wrong side of the road in an attempt to get away and crashed into an oncoming vehicle and a van."

https://news.sky.com/story/joshua-g...lf-years-as-judge-increases-sentence-11622348

Top Bottom