Etape Caledonia 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Woohoo! 844th on KOTM!;) I'm a hill climber!:thumbsup:

On a train to London now. I expect stiff legs at the other end. :smooch:

Started in Wave M, finished inside 4:08:00 for the ride and inside 24:00 for KOTM. Happy with my times, had a great weekend, and riding in groups like that was a new but very enjoyable experience.

Had to drive back up the A9 today and there were still a lot of cars with bikes coming in the other direction.

r0bbti

does anyone know if they break down the results into age categories? it would be interesting for me (as an old git) to see this.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Well, I've found my time and it was 4:30 which I'm delighted with as I was expecting it to be nearer 5hrs after doing the Recce ride with Noodley, Viniga and MightyW in April. Back then it appeared that MightyW and I were well matched and so it worked out as we had the same time.
Next to get ready for the Trossach Tonne in 5 weeks - is entry still open? Hope so!

viniga

Guru
r0bbti said:
does anyone know if they break down the results into age categories? it would be interesting for me (as an old git) to see this.

They did last year, the breakdown was on the spreadsheet. I'd be interested too, might be worth asking them.

gavintc

Guru
kfinlay said:
My wife said that when they announced the top 10, they were all in their 40s - put those young 'uns in there place if she's right LOL

A good friend of mine came 2nd female. She is over 40, and a very strong cyclist.

LeeW

I had an excellent time at the etape caledonia. Organisation was great and many thanks to the locals for cheering us on.
I managed to beat my target time of 4 hours with 51 seconds to spare to come 306th. I also managed to come 370th at king of the mountains which thoroughly busts the myth that 'bents cannot climb.
I had my camera but only recorded the first half upto about half way up the main climb, looks like the battery died even though I was pritty sure I charged it last week.

LeeW

Think I only got upto about 46mph on the downhill. I only had a 53x12 top gear, next time I will install 55x11. I also lacked bottle, as I did not really know the road. Keith davis went much faster.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
What a fabulous day and a great ride ! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Managed to avoid any dogs, sheeps etc :biggrin: :laugh:

Succeeded in tagging along with 3 quick (for me :blush:) guys, who didn't seem to want me at the front any time (honest - I tried !), so had a real flyer right the way round to the Schiehallion water stop. [it did occur to me, as I started the climb - why have I just filled my water bottles when I'm about to go UP ??? ;)] 29:53 on climb, making me ... wait for it ... 2319th male :smile:. Mountain goat, I am not :blush:.

Brilliant descent down to Coshieville, then a long (and a bit boring) loop before the quick straight to the Logierait turn/hill. Unfortunately, by the 70 mile mark, I was getting cramp in both legs' quads if I put any real power down, so had to spin my way up that and the next steep slope - then was overtaken by at least 30 people in the final run-in to the finish :sad:

Magnatom caught up with me after he had his flat, politely saying 'do you mind if I go on ?', then blowing me away :thumbsup:. 100miles/week commuting does work :smile:

My only 'regret' is that, despite Mags and I wearing our CC tops and being fairly prominent just past the finish, no other CCers came to say Hi :sad:. Maybe they had all finished and were getting changed :laugh:.

4.47:22, way ahead of expectations. Max speed - 64.38kph (40.00mph) Well chuffed :thumbsup:

Later, spent a v pleasant couple of hours with Viniga and Mrs V :shy:, before being asked to assist some damsels in distress - which Viniga did superbly :biggrin:.....

Top Bottom