Etape Caledonia 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

There were some cynics who argued beforehand why they didn't believe in paying to cycle on a road that they could cycle for free at any other time.

I think they missed the point.

Even without considering the fun of massed participation, drafting and enjoyment of closed roads perhaps the strongest argument in favour of the Etape was the atmosphere. Loved the feeling of participating in an EVENT. The support from the spectators was awesome & quite touching after all the ACRE rubbish. And the camaraderie amongst the riders was great- chapeau to the rider who came alongside between Weem and Strathtay and appologised that he was going to get dropped soon-but thanks for the tow for the last few miles.

Next year's entry is in.

themightyw

Stephen-D said:
LOL something in the saddle me thinks :biggrin:

shes "only" 5 months gone, we had our 20 week scan last tuesday!

SD - I only saw two other people riding the same Madone as me at the etape, one was a woman (and I'm fairly sure that wasn't you), the other was a guy who rode past me and shouted 'Nice bike'. You?

Viniga / Scoosh - sorry I missed you lads. If I'd spotted you I'd have said hi, but I suspect (since I left in the very last group) that I finished a while behind you. Oh, I hit 44.5 max - zoiks! My second fastest top speed to date, and bizarrely enough my 18mph average was the fastest average I've ever had for a ride, even though it was my longest distance. How does that work, eh? I wasn't even chain ganging.

God bless adrenalin.

Good luck for the micro-Viniga btw :biggrin:

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
scoosh said:
What a fabulous day and a great ride ! :biggrin:
My only 'regret' is that, despite Mags and I wearing our CC tops and being fairly prominent just past the finish, no other CCers came to say Hi :sad:. Maybe they had all finished and were getting changed :biggrin:.

4.47:22, way ahead of expectations. Max speed - 64.38kph (40.00mph) Well chuffed :thumbsup:
Glad you enjoyed the ride.
I got in at about 11:25 but was quickly sheperded to the other side of the carpark but about the same distance back as you and mags. I then went for a spot of lunch and by the time I got back I guess you had finished.

You and other folks certainly have no fear downhill :thumbsup: I bottled it at 36mph ;)

viniga

Guru
scoosh said:
Later, spent a v pleasant couple of hours with Viniga and Mrs V :thumbsup:, before being asked to assist some damsels in distress - which Viniga did superbly ;).....

Hey Scoosh, well done again on your times for overall and KOTM. It was a very pleasant pint. And as for the ladies... it was a team job, when the right men with the right size tools turn up all the ladies problems were solved. We just needed to remember who was going down and who was going up :biggrin:.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
The Etape photos are up now. I might see if my mum likes this one, I'm quite keen on it ;-)

4618622970_da5a4ed0be.jpg

Edit: I was 1099, what numbers were other folk so I can have a look at their pics :tongue:

TechMech

HLaB said:
The Etape photos are up now. I might see if my mum likes this one, I'm quite keen on it ;-)

4618622970_da5a4ed0be.jpg

Edit: I was 1099, what numbers were other folk so I can have a look at their pics :angry:

I found you on the list and I know mags was 1857 as I found him too, and I was 4046. I'm not sure what everyone else's full names are, so difficult to look up.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

alp1950 said:
There were some cynics who argued beforehand why they didn't believe in paying to cycle on a road that they could cycle for free at any other time.

I think they missed the point.

Even without considering the fun of massed participation, drafting and enjoyment of closed roads perhaps the strongest argument in favour of the Etape was the atmosphere. Loved the feeling of participating in an EVENT. The support from the spectators was awesome & quite touching after all the ACRE rubbish. And the camaraderie amongst the riders was great- chapeau to the rider who came alongside between Weem and Strathtay and appologised that he was going to get dropped soon-but thanks for the tow for the last few miles.

Next year's entry is in.

+1

This was my first Etape, its not gonna be my last. It was a lot of fun. I did it in 4hrs 42mins, far better then I expected.

viniga

Guru
HLaB said:
I was 1099, what numbers were other folk so I can have a look at their pics :smile:

I was 1256.

ImageCrop.aspx

viniga

Guru
HLaB said:

Out of curiosity, was your mum at the finish? My wife was sitting next to a lady who was waiting for their son who had a green jersey on to come in... long shot but it's a small world!

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
viniga said:
Out of curiosity, was your mum at the finish? My wife was sitting next to a lady who was waiting for their son who had a green jersey on to come in... long shot but it's a small world!
Could very well be, I'll have too ask her. She's about 5ft tall, wears glasses and has curly hair (wait a minute that could be any body I'm describing :smile:)

Edit: I think she said something about me being too fast for her to take a picture and almost made your wife miss hers.

viniga

Guru
HLaB said:
Could very well be, I'll have too ask her. She's about 5ft tall, wears glasses and has curly hair (wait a minute that could be any body I'm describing ;))

Edit: I think she said something about me being too fast for her to take a picture and almost made your wife miss hers.

It must of been her, my wife missed me at the finish despite me shouting at her as I went by. Your mum said to her that someone was calling out for her. Small world indeed.

adscrim

Veteran
1360 here. I didn't see any CC jerseys all day or I would have said hello. I didn't hang around to long in the finish area though, as I had a date with some Ossian in Weem. What an excellent day though.

Top Bottom