Scotland : Perthshire Etape Caledonia 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Last year i did 5hrs 50 mins this year 4hr 24mins.
Why?
Last year I just plodded along stopping too often and never pushed myself hard enough and the weather was rotten.
Trained hard all winter getting my average speed up , lost over a stone but I'm still 17stone +, never going to be a racing snake but managed to take a 1.5 minutes off my KOTM time and a minute of the timed Kilometer.

Similar story to me (though I'm much slower!), last year I took 6h 51m and did a lot of stopping on the way - and walked up Schehallion as I thought it would knacker me for the rest of the ride. This year I took an hour off my time (5h 50m) as I was determined not to stop where I wasn't supposed to! This time made it up Schehallion without stopping, forced myself to stop at all the feed stops to eat and drink even if I didn't feel I needed it. Not anywhere near some of the times on here :ohmy: but I was happy and hope to better my time next year.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If I can do it anyone can... :mrpig:

I suppose I could do it; but it's not really my scene TBH. For instance, if the weather was bad on the day, I would have wasted my entrance fee. No way am I getting out of bed to cycle 81 miles in the cold and rain :stop:. I have done a couple of 100 milers in recent years and enjoyed them, but the route and chosen day was my choice, as was the pace and stops etc.. :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
I suppose I could do it; but it's not really my scene TBH. For instance, if the weather was bad on the day, I would have wasted my entrance fee. No way am I getting out of bed to cycle 81 miles in the cold and rain :stop:. I have done a couple of 100 milers in recent years and enjoyed them, but the route and chosen day was my choice, as was the pace and stops etc.. :thumbsup:

Oh absolutely, if it's not your thing why bother? Both times at the start I have wondered why I bothered! My main reason for entering any event is to force me to train for it, otherwise I struggle to get motivated. Knowing I have to do it forces me out and, as you can tell from my times I need all the training I can get! :sweat:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I did the Etape back in the days when it was a charidee ride ;) and enjoyed it.

For me, the only reason I would do it again is for the Closed Roads. It's the only time we get to ride on the 'wrong' side of the road with impunity and without fear ! :laugh: Sweeping down from Schiehallion using all the available road was quite something - as was avoiding those flying past me ! :rolleyes:

Interestingly, for the rest of that season, my ordinary ride average speeds went up by about 3-5kph after the Etape. :bicycle:

There are always the nay-sayers and the objectors, much of it to do with historical local community issues. That the Etape brings large amounts of money into the area is pretty obvious - and not just over that week-end.

It's worth doing (at least) once, I'd say ... ^_^

edwardd67

Similar story to me (though I'm much slower!), last year I took 6h 51m and did a lot of stopping on the way - and walked up Schehallion as I thought it would knacker me for the rest of the ride. This year I took an hour off my time (5h 50m) as I was determined not to stop where I wasn't supposed to! This time made it up Schehallion without stopping, forced myself to stop at all the feed stops to eat and drink even if I didn't feel I needed it. Not anywhere near some of the times on here :ohmy: but I was happy and hope to better my time next year.

Well done :bravo:

Top Bottom