Scotland : Perthshire Etape Caledonia 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would usually have porridge before a ride, and i always have bananas with me, i just guess i wasn`t prepared as i thought i was... we were just a bit late in getting up, we were staying at blair atholl, so we were worried about getting in on time, plus with it being my first Etape, i didn`t know how the bloody timing chip attached to the wheel,
My mates swear by porridge with fruit in the morning. Energy-tastic apparently. Yeh bananas are perfect but a nightmare to actually eat when nearly touching the wheel in front, behind, to the right and to the left. I took off my gilet in the middle of the peloton and it's safe to say that it's something you want to do as quick as possible.
That's another thing i noticed - a lot of riders touching wheels and not holding their line through corners. A recipe for disaster in a large group on small country roads. Luckily it appears there were no serious crashes throughout the event. Just some road rash and cuts n bruises.

As long as you had a good time mate then that's all that matters. I will defo be doing it again next year. Riding on completely closed roads is total bliss.

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
I know someone who was in the lead group when Evan Oliphant did it - he was chatting away on the front as if it was a recovery ride. Once it got to Schiehallion the group splintered so dont know what happened next but i think the course record might be a bit misleading.

On a related point would love to see what time someone like Wiggo could manage going full gas in a TT!

I know someone who was in the lead group when Evan Oliphant did it - he was chatting away on the front as if it was a recovery ride. Once it got to Schiehallion the group splintered so dont know what happened next but i think the course record might be a bit misleading.

On a related point would love to see what time someone like Wiggo could manage going full gas in a TT!
He (not Oliphant - the 2013 winner) was in my group until the scheihallion, then it split. Around 3 sizeable groups formed over the top. The first was 10-12 guys which were all really fast up the hill, the second were very strong riders who were hoping to bridge the gap at the top but didn't and the 3rd group couldn't hold on to the 2nd group.

I was between the small first group and the second a few miles after the schiehallion. I tried to bridge the gap on my own but in the end decided to sit up for a few minutes so that i could join the second group. Would have wasted tons of energy on my own.

My mistake was positioning at the Schiehallion. I have not done the Etape before so had no idea where the Schiehallion was.
I should have been right near the front at the foot of the climb but instead i was 40-50 riders back.

The climb completely blew apart the peloton. Lots of big strong guys couldn't get up fast enough and were dropped. This was the difference between being in the front winning group and the second (or 3rd).

One of my club mates (the climbing whippet) is on great form and he was with the front group. He posted a 3:34. I could see him a mile after the Schiehallion but couldn't bridge on my own as they were chain ganging and i was in limbo between the 2 front groups. Annoying having to sit up and wait but the right thing to do i think, given the situation.

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
He was in my group until the scheihallion, then it split. Around 3 sizeable groups formed over the top. The first was 10-12 guys which were all really fast up the hill, the second were very strong riders who were hoping to bridge the gap at the top but didn't and the 3rd group couldn't hold on to the 2nd group.

I was between the small first group and the second a few miles after the schiehallion. I tried to bridge the gap on my own but in the end decided to sit up for a few minutes so that i could join the second group. Would have wasted tons of energy on my own.

My mistake was positioning at the Schiehallion. I have not done the Etape before so had no idea where the Schiehallion was.
I should have been right near the front at the foot of the climb but instead i was 40-50 riders back.

The climb completely blew apart the peloton. Lots of big strong guys couldn't get up fast enough and were dropped. This was the difference between being in the front winning group and the second (or 3rd).

One of my club mates (the climbing whippet) is on great form and he was with the front group. He posted a 3:34. I could see him a mile after the Schiehallion but couldn't bridge on my own as they were chain ganging and i was in limbo between the 2 front groups. Annoying having to sit up and wait but the right thing to do i think, given the situation.

Yeah positioning is important, as it was your first time you wouldn't have known it beforehand but there tends to be some jostling from a couple of miles out (likewise for the Logierait turn). The climb is just long enough for power to weight to become an issue whereas for the hills elsewhere on the route the heavier guys who can put out a bit of power are not really at much of a disadvantage compared to the climbers.

Yeah positioning is important, as it was your first time you wouldn't have known it beforehand but there tends to be some jostling from a couple of miles out (likewise for the Logierait turn). The climb is just long enough for power to weight to become an issue whereas for the hills elsewhere on the route the heavier guys who can put out a bit of power are not really at much of a disadvantage compared to the climbers.
Yup was in big ring for Logierait which meant out of the saddle and power down. Painful yes but managed to get up the hill first in my group by some distance. Not knowing the road has it's perks too. You don't know when a really painful bit is coming. ^_^

Top Bottom