Scotland : Perthshire Etape Caledonia 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angus444

One of my club mates took his mum around, she is 65 and not a bike rider at all. They took around 6 hours but he managed to get her round. For you Scoosh, a walk in the park. ;)
Brilliant!! ^_^ That's what this event is all about.... For the people chasing a personal best, for people wanting to take it easy and admire the scenery, for those just wanting to say 'I did it'.......

Some great times posted here.....agree with you re the wheelsuckers, Pedro. At 4.43.10, I'm still chasing the sub-4.30 time, so I'm definitely not one of the fast guys by any means, yet I had blokes so close to my back wheel at times, refusing to work together, that I actually cracked and let loose with some basic Anglo Saxon at one point....

A good day, though......here's to next year, and here's to the next event on the calendar..... ^_^

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
The guy that won it (i realise its not a race, but you know what i mean) is a decent track rider, he is often getting wins and top 3s in the A group at the Scottish track league and he will sometimes be up against domestic pros to do that. Not bad going for a young amateur who (as far as im aware) hasnt been part of any development programme - actually he probably gets more publicity for doing this than he would winning most 'proper' races!

Well done to all who done it, some super quick times there, i've yet to do that kinda distance so as yet i have no idea how long that would take me

It is hard to compare with other rides, but most people riding yesterday likely wont have been close to what they managed yesterday on any of their training rides leading up to it. Not just by a couple of minutes either but by a fairly large chunk.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Being my first time doing it i didn`t really know what to expect with my time, but am happy with my time, and i did push it a little bit, think i lost time coming down the othe side of schiehallion, the wind and rain in my face took it out me a bit.....i was in a good goup up until the food stop before schiehallion, we were really going fast at time and it was great fun, ended up on my own for a little bit, joined up with a good group at about the 60 mile mark....it was actually 2 women who went flying by me, just thought to myself i`ll have some of that, they were going at a good pace for me, so a few of us where taking our turns at pulling others along, stuck with them for a bit, then they dropped me at the wee bit where you take a sharp left and there is a bitch of a wee sharp climb climb, it had a a lot of folk cheering on so i thought to myself i need to push it here, well doing that took it out my legs...then you hit a wee climb just along from that, it had the last climb written on the road well that really done me in and that was that last i seen of my final group...

Great weekend we had, weather was rubbish for me at schiehallion but that was about it..

Me crossing the finish line

922679_532972050097715_1917112959_n.jpg

edwardd67

Last year i did 5hrs 50 mins this year 4hr 24mins.
Why?
Last year I just plodded along stopping too often and never pushed myself hard enough and the weather was rotten.
Trained hard all winter getting my average speed up , lost over a stone but I'm still 17stone +, never going to be a racing snake but managed to take a 1.5 minutes off my KOTM time and a minute of the timed Kilometer.

tug benson

I only stopped at one food stop, think it ws the 4th one....was a bit late in getting up so i only had time for a cup of coffee before doing the ride, so i started the ride on just a belly fully of coffee, took a gatorade pre work out drink, and i had 4 SIS energy gel....so i stoped only for a minute to grab 2 bananas, a couple of flap jacks and i topped up one of my water bottles.....i think for me to improve my time i would need to drop a bit of weight, am pleased with my time..

I only stopped at one food stop, think it ws the 4th one....was a bit late in getting up so i only had time for a cup of coffee before doing the ride, so i started the ride on just a belly fully of coffee, took a gatorade pre work out drink, and i had 4 SIS energy gel....so i stoped only for a minute to grab 2 bananas, a couple of flap jacks and i topped up one of my water bottles.....i think for me to improve my time i would need to drop a bit of weight, am pleased with my time..
Food is key buddy. I was up at 3:15am as i had to drive to Pitlochry and was starting first. Wasn't hungry but ate 3 weetabix and two bananas before the start. Every 45 mins from there i had a flap jack or a gel. Can't stress the importance of fuel enough if you are going to be giving it some! Also hydrate as much as possible and then make sure go to the toilet. Myself and a few club mates hurdled the rails at the start to take a leak in the bushes, all with about 5 mins to go. :blush:
I actually nearly got wiped out at that last food stop. Missed the barrier by the skin of my teeth, during which i was signalling those behind me to move over right. I heard shouts of "f*ck me that was close" so i wasn't the only one to nearly become road grime.

tug benson

Food is key buddy. I was up at 3:15am as i had to drive to Pitlochry and was starting first. Wasn't hungry but ate 3 weetabix and two bananas before the start. Every 45 mins from there i had a flap jack or a gel. Can't stress the importance of fuel enough if you are going to be giving it some!
I actually nearly got wiped out at that last food stop. Missed the barrier by the skin of my teeth, during which i was signalling those behind me to move over right. I heard shouts of "f*ck me that was close" so i wasn't the only one to nearly become road grime.

I would usually have porridge before a ride, and i always have bananas with me, i just guess i wasn`t prepared as i thought i was... we were just a bit late in getting up, we were staying at blair atholl, so we were worried about getting in on time, plus with it being my first Etape, i didn`t know how the bloody timing chip attached to the wheel,

The guy that won it (i realise its not a race, but you know what i mean) is a decent track rider, he is often getting wins and top 3s in the A group at the Scottish track league and he will sometimes be up against domestic pros to do that. Not bad going for a young amateur who (as far as im aware) hasnt been part of any development programme - actually he probably gets more publicity for doing this than he would winning most 'proper' races!

It is hard to compare with other rides, but most people riding yesterday likely wont have been close to what they managed yesterday on any of their training rides leading up to it. Not just by a couple of minutes either but by a fairly large chunk.
He entered his first 'proper' race last year at the tender age of 17 and won it :ohmy::bravo:

Top Bottom