Scotland : Perthshire Etape Caledonia 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Yeah just turn up with some ID and go to the tent they'll give you a chip, numbers and goody bag

All good, was a bit worried for a second there..... looking foward to the weekend now

Good luck to all doing the Etape tomorrow. Current forecast isn't looking too bad. Don't think the rain will come until later. Maybe breezy though.
That'a the kind of weather prediction i like Mo. :thumbsup:

Angus444

Schiehallion is my clan mountain, so I'm relying on the ghosts of dead ancestors to pull me up, then push me down the other side.....^_^

Good luck everyone.....stay safe, and watch out for the potholes.......

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Mixed day for me...the cycling was great was flying for the first 50 miles but i got a puncture just after the kotm section (so annoying as i had managed to hold on to the fast guys in wave B over the hill which was a big goal for the day). just put some co2 in to get along to the mavic service van a couple of miles along and had to top up again after riding on the rim for a bit.

The worst part it was a new tyre on yesterday i took the old one off because there was a small nick on the sidewall and didnt want to risk it lol

Eventually made it to the mavic guys and they fixed it, saved me a bit of hassle and a bit of time (had taken 30 minutes the night before when put it on as the bead was so tight) Was really frustrated so that got the adrenalin flowing and descended like a demon and once on the flat kept overtaking small groups...that felt pretty awesome for a short period, living out the Cancellara dream. It didnt last though, looked back after a while and there was literally about 30 riders behind with no one coming through to do a turn. That continued for 8 miles, im flicking my elbow and getting ignored and getting more and more annoyed. 8 freaking miles! If i hadnt had the puncture id have swung off and let someone else come through but was wanting to push on and make up lost time so didnt have much option. Ended up riding virtually in the verge so it was more difficult to follow my wheel and then some knob behind had the cheek to tell me to use the full road :biggrin:

The first 50 miles was the opposite to this, huge group probably 50+ riders and at least 20 taking a short turn at the front, was like clockwork and we were flying along despite a bit of a headwind.

Anyway enough moaning, i did actually enjoy the event just venting - my aim was to break 4 hours which i managed. My rolling time is going to make me weep when i upload it to connect tomorrow though lol

@zizou

I too put in a lot of effort at the front, as did my club mates. Most are wheel suckers and if there isn't a chain gang going on then no one takes turns. So we did a chain gang after a while and that split the group as some didn't want to take a turn. Lazy buggers. My pet peeve!!
There were several times where the chain gang broke up as some riders wanted a free ride. :headshake:

All in all a good day. I put in a time of 3 hours 38. Pretty happy with that but had some left at the end.

I'd do it again and aim to go sub 3:30. I was 10 mins off the winner so do-able indeed.

Ps, good effort m8.

Top Bottom