etape countdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen-D

Well all i can say i WOW totally loved every single moment of the ride today, met a friend from my Local Cycling Club so we went round together, this is my first ever sportive and the first time ive hit the 81 mile mark so it was a battle. the place had a fantastic vibe and even my pregnant misses came up to see me at the finish line. At times i felt like crying but it was al worth it. the training that i put in for it totally worked out well, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

my final time was 4:54:47 which they texted to me shortly after finishing which i thought was cool.

I'll second what Stephen says. An excellent day.

Started not so great, taking the bike out the car it had a flat tyre. However, got that sorted and then to the start. I've never seen a carpet of cyclists before...now I have! Despite the large numbers the start went smoothly and off we went. About 20 miles in and the tyre goes flat again! :sad: Get that sorted with the help of a local resident, who also gave me a spare!! Many thanks to that gentleman! Scooch past me at that point, so the chase was on! Caught up a wee while later, had a quick chat and parted ways (well he is an old man :o).

Plenty of oppertunity to work in groups which helped keep the pace up. Then came the hill. Actually this is where I found that my hilly commute has been helpful. I definitely passed more than passed me. :thumbsup: Steep at the start, and not too bad after that. Met kfindlay on the way up and had a wee chat and then we both enjoyed the amazing downhill after that. Very smooth roads, no cars.....weeeeeeee! (43.5mph max).

Following the hill was the loop that wasn't the most exciting and had a bit of a headwind. Nothing major and then back with the wind at our backs. Getting near the end with 11 miles to go I decide to look athow long I've been cycling. Less than 4 hours!! :ohmy: Blimey, it's been fast.

So head down for the finish with a wee touch of cramp threatening in the legs. I knew about the nasty wee climb after the turn, and so was ready for it. Brilliant. Again my commute with the short sharp climbs helped here and I passed a large group on the way up. :smile: A couple more sharpish climbs and then downhill to te finish (with a wee climb right at the end). And what a great welcome!!:biggrin:

So my stats are, official 4:34. Actually (remember I had a puncture) 4:16. :biggrin::biggrin::thumbsup: Well chuffed. 19mph average. about 1.5mph above my previous best.

It was a great day, lots of support on the route. Perfect weather, light wind, cool and dry (sunny at times). Amazing roads, I have never ridden on smoother, and a brilliant atmosphere.

The roads were very fast today and I think nearly everyone was posting good times. However, it still feels good to take over an hour quicker than you though.

I'll be doing this next year! :biggrin:

P.S. viniga's wife was good enough not to give birth during the race! :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
scoosh said:
How chivalrous ! :biggrin:

Well I got back to Weem with enough time to get my pint in. While I was sitting in the Sun with all my nubers still on, three gents came passed. I heard one shout "that's a good idea" and they turned round and went into the pub!

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
themightyw said:
Kev I notice we were separated by literally just a few seconds! I did keep an eye out for your jersey but I started at 7.45

I had a Macmillan jersey on mate otherwise would have been wearing my new Castelli kit. Pity we weren't closer together on the road as I think we would have pushed each other a little bit harder and managed closer to 4:20! Maybe do it again next year as John (who was on he recce ride with the Boardman) and another mate plan on doing it. You doing any others this year?

sleekitcollie

Sounds like you all did very well and had a great time . I'd really have liked to do this or something along the same lines . But don't know if I'm capable of doing it or in the same league as u guys . I know what the answer to my nxt question is but going to ask anyway :biggrin: how do u know if u are ready to do one of those rides

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
sleekitcollie said:
Sounds like you all did very well and had a great time . I'd really have liked to do this or something along the same lines . But don't know if I'm capable of doing it or in the same league as u guys . I know what the answer to my nxt question is but going to ask anyway :smile: how do u know if u are ready to do one of those rides
You enter and ride it ! :biggrin:

There are many reasons why people do these (and especially the Etape Caledonia).

- because it is a challenge just to finish, so they are stretching themselves (some took 7hrs to finish the Etape)
- to improve on a previous time
- as a fund-raiser
- because it is on closed roads
- because it is local
- to be part of a big cycling event
- because ... well, just because :biggrin:

Have a look at what is on the calendar; enter it; train for it; ride it; consider what to do next ... :shy:

It's easy really !

sleekitcollie

scoosh said:
You enter and ride it ! :thumbsup:
!
yip that's wot I thought the answer would be ;) .
Being new to this cycling game and completly new to any sort of event like this ( only previous thing being pedal 4 Scotland ) I never even seen any of these events from a spectator point far less riding in one so don't realy know what was involved . Think I'll look and listen at this years events then look to take part in some nxt year

themightyw

kfinlay said:
I had a Macmillan jersey on mate otherwise would have been wearing my new Castelli kit. Pity we weren't closer together on the road as I think we would have pushed each other a little bit harder and managed closer to 4:20! Maybe do it again next year as John (who was on he recce ride with the Boardman) and another mate plan on doing it. You doing any others this year?

Yep, we should have tag teamed this one! I'm planning to do the 200k Deeside loop audax next weekend if you fancy it? It will utterly destroy me, but will be good practice for your trossachs ton, if they're still taking entries. I'm doing a 3 day London to Paris ride in a month's time and I need all the mileage I can get :/

Say hi to John for me.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
themightyw said:
Yep, we should have tag teamed this one! I'm planning to do the 200k Deeside loop audax next weekend if you fancy it? It will utterly destroy me, but will be good practice for your trossachs ton, if they're still taking entries. I'm doing a 3 day London to Paris ride in a month's time and I need all the mileage I can get :/

Say hi to John for me.

Don't think I'll managed the Deeside Audax due to other commitments (might get out on Thursday) but as John and I are doing the Trossachs Tonne would be good to meet up at the start if you want.
John is quicker than me especially on the hills - he completed Fred Whitton last week without getting off even on Hardknotts 30% - but we can just make him do more work at the front :biggrin:

Top Bottom