Etape Loch Ness 2018

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by Etape Loch Ness, 25 Jul 2017.

1. Etape Loch Ness

Etape Loch Ness Regular

The Etape Loch Ness is a 66-mile (106km) closed road cycle sportive starting and finishing in the Highland capital of Inverness.

The closed road route takes riders around the stunning shores of iconic Loch Ness providing a challenging ride with spectacular views, offering 900m of ascent.

There is a timed King of the Mountain stage, with a 4.8mile (9km) climb gaining 380m in height with a gradient reaching 12% at times.

There is an increased capacity for the 2018 event, however demand for places is expected to be high, so don’t delay and register your interest now!

www.etapelochness.com
    https://www.facebook.com/etapelochness
    https://www.twitter.com/EtapeLochNess
    www.instagram.com/etapelochness

Rooster1 likes this.
  2. yerteasoot

yerteasoot Active Member

Myself and husband are going to sign up for this next year, really looking forward to it

3. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Same weekend as the Kinross Sportive which is cheaper and slightly better lauded... shame really.

Jim Brown likes this.
  4. Fonze

Fonze Totally obsessive , cool by nature

I'd love to go as I have a good friend that lives in Inverness and always tells me how beautiful the area is, all up to Fort William.

5. Maverick Goose

Maverick Goose A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place

It is-I lived in Oban for a couple of years and enjoyed a muckle of stoating riding, both on and off road.

Slick likes this.
  6. viniga

viniga Über Member

I've signed up via the charity route, will be chumming a mate round it slowly. Very slowly as I'll be cycling to Inverness over the previous two days.

Jim Brown likes this.
  7. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

I'm in . Tried to get in last year as a 50th birthday to late so signed up early this year . Having a long weekend away to justify the 10 hour drive to a cycling event . B and B booked in Inverness really looking forward to it

smutchin and Supersuperleeds like this.
  8. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

That ride is about the same length as the Cape Argus, which also goes alongside water for most of its length and is an exciting and spectacular ride. Somehow I think that riding for several hours with trees on my right and a big loch on my left won't be quite as exciting!

9. Globalti

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound cocky. I'm sure the scenery is lovely and the craic excellent.

User1252 likes this.
  10. Globalti

Inverness is one of the places on our possible Scottish retirement list.

Zimbob and User1252 like this.
  11. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

The old military road back along the south side of the Loch from Fort Augustus to Inverness is absolutely stunning - I rode it on the RAB in 2016.

The climb from Fort Augustus is seriously tough - not because of the length or steepness as such, but because the gradient keeps changing and there are loads of false summits. It's impossible to get into any kind of rhythm.

There's one point where you crest a short, steep ramp and round a bend to be greeted with the most magnificent view over Loch Ness - it really is literally breathtaking, and I would say it is probably worth doing the ride for that moment alone. That road was one of the highlights of the whole of the RAB for me (only the road up from Lairg to Altnaharra really beats it).

Lovely long descent off the other side too.

ETA: I wouldn't normally want to ride the north side of the Loch but I expect it's a lot more fun on a closed road event.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2018
    13 rider and User1252 like this.
  12. Globalti

But blimey O'Reilly.... isn't Inverness an expensive place to reach by air or rail!

13. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

Yes !!
    Talked big sister and BIL into a long weekend away so we can share the driving :laugh: having looked at train flying etc

14. Renmurew

Renmurew Senior Member

I did this event in 2016 and again in 2017. Its a stunning ride, the hill is a brute but its a great feeling to get to the top. As you near the top you will hear the piper welcoming riders to the end of the climb. Its an awesome sound!

Hope you enjoy it. Ive signed up for the Etape Caledonia instead this year but expect to do the Loch Ness run again sometime.

15. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

Etape Caledonia is a lovely ride too - I did it in 2016. Not the hilliest, but great scenery.

Zimbob and Renmurew like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice