Etape Pennines - October 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
On my day ride I did some bits from Esh Winning and the section from St Johns Chapel to Blanchland.

You also get near 100% sunshine tomorrow so make sure you take in the great scenery

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's local to me but way above my level, so I did some spectating at about 70miles.

The lad who came through first was a few minutes ahead of the next rider and appeared very relaxed.

I clapped him and he said a few words back as if he was out walking the dog.

Well done to him, and the dozens of others I watched go past.

Everyone seemed to have paced themeselves properly - I didn't see anyone who appeared to be in any bother.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll do a report later - but got round in about 5 hours 23 mins, compared to a target time I'd set of 6 hours.

The organisation at the start wasn't great - their attempt at setting people off in specified waves didn't work.

However, the route was good and the marshals/signage great. I was also glad of a note telling me that the big climbs started at 40 miles - and they came one after another.

John_c

Just back home after manning the last feed station. (mile 64). Well done to all who completed the ride, couldn't have asked for better weather. First rider came through at 1146am the last riders we're passing at about 300pm.

Angus444

I'll do a report later - but got round in about 5 hours 23 mins, compared to a target time I'd set of 6 hours.

The organisation at the start wasn't great - their attempt at setting people off in specified waves didn't work.

However, the route was good and the marshals/signage great. I was also glad of a note telling me that the big climbs started at 40 miles - and they came one after another.
Well done, DC!

I was too late to enter this year, but have registered interest for 2013. Had a good look at the profile though, and 5.23 is a great time for that course.

The Etape Caledonia start has been a nightmare for the past 3 years....like an EasyJet check-in, people in Wave M, etc stand right at the front while people in Waves B,C etc try to push through the throng. It's a good system, but people need to play their part by letting others through....

Have a well-deserved lemonade tonight.....^_^

ferret fur

That was tough. Much harder than the Caledonia. I reckon the organizers are taking a bit of a chance running this so late in the year. It was hard enough on a perfect day and even with dry roads some of the descents were scary (55mph :-0 ) If it had been really cold, wet and windy I think it could've been quite nasty. As it was I though it was a great event. Chuffed with 4:49

ferret fur

PS The results suggest that only about a third of the field made it round in the time limit. The Broom wagon maust've been crowded! ^_^

John_c

PS The results suggest that only about a third of the field made it round in the time limit. The Broom wagon maust've been crowded! ^_^
It was, so full in fact a number of the last few had to just grin and bear it, for the last 14 miles.
But still a well earned cycle badge for all.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got my official time: - came in 173rd. Happy with that; my personal target was 6 hours and in the 1st 500.
ETPB0344.jpe

Sprint 00:01:35 97th
KOTM 13:00 394th
Race No 1615
Cat M40-44
Cat Pos 37th
Time 05:17:50
Pos
173rd

Top Bottom