Etape Pennines - October 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy knees

i have done the caledonia and it is a great event, i dont think £61 is a bit steep for a closed road event, as some sportives cost between £30-£40 and they are on open roads, i have also signed up.

Angus444

Thinking of signing-up for this as my end-of-season 'Tour of Lombardy'...^_^
I've seen the route on the web, but can any locals give me a heads-up on the roads,climbs, etc?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cheers, DC.

I'm just back from having a look - they hardly covered the course so it's not worth even commenting on.

All they said was that it was new, went through the Pennines with lots of hills and that there's 1000 places left.

Hopefully a better course write-up will be along later.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The attraction I suppose is that is closed road whereas most "sportive" type rides tend to be on open roads. Closed road attracted me to the Manchester ride in June.

Angus444

Yes, I had a read of Cycling Weekly, but it didn't say much. Still, I think I'll give it a go, if only for the closed-road aspect. It does make a difference, knowing you can barrel round a corner without meeting a car coming towards you.... The organisation of the Etape Caledonia is fantastic, so if they are responsible for the Pennine event, it'll be worth the money.

mip

I'm contemplating this though it looks pretty tough http://etapepennines.co.uk/downloads/Route Map for Launch.pdf. Three category 3 climbs?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Go on - you know you want to :thumbsup:

For me it's a sort of 'end of season' event, although I'm looking at end Oct/early Nov still including the Chemo Classic.

dodgy knees

hi all i live and ride in the area, the chapel fell climb is a good test, but imo we,ll be climbing the the easier side of the climb, but u,ll get a good descent once over the top coyld be as high as 50+ mph if weather is ok.it will be harder than the caledonia but worthwhile in the end.see you all there.also chemo classic is a good ride with a couple of 20% climbs and some long drags,all in all a good end of season ride

hi all i live and ride in the area, the chapel fell climb is a good test, but imo we,ll be climbing the the easier side of the climb, but u,ll get a good descent once over the top coyld be as high as 50+ mph if weather is ok.it will be harder than the caledonia but worthwhile in the end.see you all there.also chemo classic is a good ride with a couple of 20% climbs and some long drags,all in all a good end of season ride

Heh am also doing the Etape Pennines and live in Durham, did part of the route recently to check it out, down into Middleton Teesdale and passed High Force and over to St johns Chapel.. lots of climbing....

lanternerouge

Veteran
I really fancy this but gah, £61 is a lot of money for a sportive. How busy would the closed roads be anyway? Hmmmm. It would be the perfect end of season target for me though...

Top Bottom