etiquette when overtaking a horse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Slow down but make sure the pedals are keeping up with the wheels, especially if you have loud freewheel the mechanical sound seems to be disconcerting. Normally I say in a softish voice something like 'rider back, to the right' & repeat it Normally the horse responds much earlier than the rider.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hont said:
How polite are you? *doffs cap* ;)

I normally opt for a "mind your back" or "coming through" far enough back that I have to shout for them to hear. Always thank them, no matter how p*ssed off I am that there were three of them blocking the road and on their mobile phones.

Said the driver who honked his horn then overtook a bunch of cyclists?

equicyclist

HLaB said:
I play the Verve at them it seems to keep them (horses that is) calm or at least the ones I passed in this video at the start and 2.15 ;)

Ive been having a surf to see what posts are on here about horses as Im trying to find out if there are any reasons why we cannot share routes. I think you are lucky to be alive! You didnt slow down at all and aimed right in the contact zone. There was no traffic and no reason to put yourself in danger. Is this the way you ride all the time or is it just for the purpose of this video?

PK99

Legendary Member
equicyclist said:
Ive been having a surf to see what posts are on here about horses as Im trying to find out if there are any reasons why we cannot share routes. I think you are lucky to be alive! You didnt slow down at all and aimed right in the contact zone. There was no traffic and no reason to put yourself in danger. Is this the way you ride all the time or is it just for the purpose of this video?

and certainly no need to put the horse rider in danger in that way by scaring the horse.

How any cyclist can be proud of that riding astounds me - thoroughly irresponsible and reprehensible.

I trust the guy who posted the video would never post a video of a car overtaking him too close and claim the driver acted irresponsibly!

Total and utter ****wit behaviour. If cyclist want reasonable behaviour from other road users we should show them the respect and consideration we demand from them!

equicyclist said:
The video is speeded up, I'm not that fast ;)
Oh and the lens distorts things to the front it makes things look closer than they are and the camera is on the bars not me which makes it look closer.

What you cant see at that speed is the Horse rider makes eye contact, I waited for that before going through. IME most riders are alert that way.

Philk

When overtaking a horse, give them as wide a berth as possible, and pass slowly as possible as not to spook the Horse, and not to loudly make your presence heard.

As a child my parents used to train race/show jump horses, I once got kicked in the face, trust me you dont want that to happen.

Norm

HLaB said:
The video is speeded up, I'm not that fast :evil:
Oh and the lens distorts things to the front it makes things look closer than they are and the camera is on the bars not me which makes it look closer.

What you cant see at that speed is the Horse rider makes eye contact, I waited for that before going through. IME most riders are alert that way.
Sorry, HLaB, I'm with equi and PK99 on this one. You are, IMO, way too close in that first pass, and it's not about the camera distortion. You get to within, what, 10-15 feet before pulling out and even then you are riding down the white line? I'm out and chatting 4-5 times further back than that, completely across the other side of the road.

With the clear sight line you had, there's no need for that.

You can even see that the horse doesn't like it, flicking it's tail and back legs out as you pass.

That was a very lucky one, IMO, and I bet that you'd be seething if a car passed you that close.

By contrast, the second one was exactly how I'd do it, slowing and giving as much room as possible.

PK99

Legendary Member
Norm said:
That was a very lucky one, IMO, and I bet that you'd be seething if a car passed you that close.

A few months ago (late 2009) a cycling acquaintance was out cycling in the Leith Hill area. Suddenly a car overtook with no warning inches from his bars, startled he wobbled hit the "kerb" and exiting into the ditch.

Broken knee.
Ruptured thumb tendon = operation = just given the ok to get back on the bike

"i indicated and pulled out" was the drivers comment before leaving the scene (there had been no contact so arguably that was not illegal)

to see a cyclist doing the exact same thing to a horse rider is simply not acceptable behaviour

Norm said:
Sorry, HLaB, I'm with equi and PK99 on this one. You are, IMO, way too close in that first pass, and it's not about the camera distortion. You get to within, what, 10-15 feet before pulling out and even then you are riding down the white line? I'm out and chatting 4-5 times further back than that, completely across the other side of the road.

With the clear sight line you had, there's no need for that.

You can even see that the horse doesn't like it, flicking it's tail and back legs out as you pass.

By contrast, the second one was exactly how I'd do it, slowing and giving as much room as possible.
OK if you feel that way but I've found the camera especially speeded especially distorts things, the real life picture is quite a bit different. It was a while back though all I can recall is the rider making eye contact and pulling the horse sightly to the left, that's the tail flicking move. Trust me I was no where near the horse.

Just watching the video back
even then you are riding down the white line?
I'm confused at no point other than crossing behind and in front was I on the line?
4505819901_49662e4163_m.jpg

Norm

I don't want to get into some pissing contest, or drive any defensive behaviour. Just my opinion, take it or leave it, you won't change it.

HLaB said:
Trust me I was no where near the horse.
You were, IMO, way too near the horse. In this shot, you were already closer than I'd get, especially given the completely clear carriageway you could move in to. In this shot, you are deep into the danger zone. There's no wriggling about camera angles or video speed, you can see that there is no break in the carriageway marking between you and the horse. That is way too close.

HLaB said:
Just watching the video back I'm confused at no point other than crossing behind and in front was I on the line?
4505819901_49662e4163_m.jpg

I was referring to the position in this shot. You can see the horses tail is, what, under a metre in front of you and you are on the white line.

Norm said:
I don't want to get into some pissing contest, or drive any defensive behaviour. Just my opinion, take it or leave it, you won't change it.:rofl::smile:

You were, IMO, way too near the horse. In this shot, you were already closer than I'd get, especially given the completely clear carriageway you could move in to. In this shot, you are deep into the danger zone. There's no wriggling about camera angles or video speed, you can see that there is no break in the carriageway marking between you and the horse. That is way too close.

I was referring to the position in this shot. You can see the horses tail is, what, under a metre in front of you and you are on the white line.
I guess I was a wee bit closer than I would have liked but not to close IMO and unless the horse has 10 ft legs, I wasn't in the danger zone. As I said the rider told me to go through and pulled the horse slightly to the left, hence the tail flick, the actual body of the horse is further left. I never heard or saw any complaint from them.

Sorry I didn't notice your first sentence, your entitled to your opinion :laugh:
OT I've got to start using Photobucket it seems better than flickr

Norm

HLaB said:
I guess I was a wee bit closer than I would have liked but not to close IMO and unless the horse has 10 ft legs, I wasn't in the danger zone.
Coolio, on that first bit. I'm thinking of the danger to the rider as well, and them horse's cannons, they don't just fire backwards you know. :laugh:

HLaB said:
OT I've got to start using Photobucket it seems better than flickr
I think it is, yes, although you need to sometimes trim the code a little so their links just go to the image rather than a page filled with links and advertising. Not that the links take much editing, of course.

The links I use look like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Norm_X1/Norms Bikes/DSC_2807.jpg

If you use their generated code, it produces this:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Norm_X1/Norms Bikes/?action=view&current=DSC_2807.jpg

The second one takes longer to load, doesn't show the image full size and isn't, usually, what I want to link to.

Top Bottom