etiquette when overtaking a horse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it is, yes, although you need to sometimes trim the code a little so their links just go to the image rather than a page filled with links and advertising. Not that the links take much editing, of course.

The links I use look like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Norm_X1/Norms Bikes/DSC_2807.jpg

If you use their generated code, it produces this:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Norm_X1/Norms Bikes/?action=view&current=DSC_2807.jpg

The second one takes longer to load, doesn't show the image full size and isn't, usually, what I want to link to.[/QUOTE]
Cheers for the tip :laugh:

jimboalee

Get out your bugle and give it a good blast. The horse should get out of the way.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/milsounds/blcharge.htm

GrasB

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
Don't do what three of my fellow Audax riders did a few years ago and just blast past a horse and rider with no warning at getting on for 30 mph.:wacko: Very silly: pass wide and slow, just as you would in a car.

On a similar note, I've been told by a rider that if you do find your self approaching a horse at speed (by accident of course) it's, apparently, a REALLY bad idea to slam the brakes on, slow down as much as you can & give a wide berth as possible.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
ChristinaJL said:
I always slow down, then call out, not too loudly though, having owned horses in the past some are seriously freaked out by bikes even when they're static, let alone moving. :tongue:

Unrelated, but our dog Bruno, had a 'thing' about motorcycles for years - It wasn't the noise, just the look of a motorbike going past - he even had a thing sometimes with our more green bikes.
He was from our local SSPCA (the Scottish version of the RSPCA) Cat and Dog home, and he'd been found as a stray, so he obviously had some issues from his past.

Anyway, ten years later, he's so deaf and blind he doesn't see them comining until they are passing him, but we also have a 3 - legged Staffie (seriously) who seems to have seen what he did and gives them a limp woof as they go past instead!

?
horse-473x309.jpg

jimboalee

Mad Doug Biker said:
Unrelated, but our dog Bruno, had a 'thing' about motorcycles for years - It wasn't the noise, just the look of a motorbike going past - he even had a thing sometimes with our more green bikes.
He was from our local SSPCA (the Scottish version of the RSPCA) Cat and Dog home, and he'd been found as a stray, so he obviously had some issues from his past.

Anyway, ten years later, he's so deaf and blind he doesn't see them comining until they are passing him, but we also have a 3 - legged Staffie (seriously) who seems to have seen what he did and gives them a limp woof as they go past instead!

It probably was. Not the engine noise, but the ringing of the spokes at a frequency humans can't hear.
Lots of dogs bark at cyclists. I had one yesterday.

equicyclist

AS we are talking about horses here, does anyone object to sharing routes with horseriders. ie cycletracks? Has anyone had any issues? In Carmarthenshire we are all vulnerable road users and looking for ways the council can spend less and provide more for all.

C

chillyuk

Coming home through Harlow the other day in my car I came upon a glass hearse being drawn by a couple of horses. There were a lot of cars in a queue behind the hearse, and despite being a dual carraigeway no-one was overtaking. Eventually I got peed off doing ten miles an hour and went past slowly. I was not sure of the etiquette in this situation though.

Debian

equicyclist said:
AS we are talking about horses here, does anyone object to sharing routes with horseriders. ie cycletracks? Has anyone had any issues? In Carmarthenshire we are all vulnerable road users and looking for ways the council can spend less and provide more for all.

Depends what you call a cycletrack?

I fully accept sharing bridleways, RBs and BOATs with horses as they have an ancient legal right to be there but I really do not like horses, scared of them and always give them a wide berth.

If OTOH you're talking about sharing trails such as the Strawberry Line, shared use pavements, etc with horses then yes, I would object.

equicyclist

chillyuk said:
Coming home through Harlow the other day in my car I came upon a glass hearse being drawn by a couple of horses. There were a lot of cars in a queue behind the hearse, and despite being a dual carraigeway no-one was overtaking. Eventually I got peed off doing ten miles an hour and went past slowly. I was not sure of the etiquette in this situation though.

I dont have a cart/trap etc but the followers may have been part of the funeral!
As a rider I expect cars to pass but its always nice to have them wave, smile and be nice. We dont hold up the traffic on purpose unless we are seriously in trouble and at risk of being thrown off and trying to prevent a big dent in your car. I would say its fine just no horns and it will be fine.

Norm

equicyclist said:
AS we are talking about horses here, does anyone object to sharing routes with horseriders. ie cycletracks?
I have no issue with sharing routes with horses, pedestrians, cars, buses, lorries or, in extremis, other cyclists. :biggrin:

Christopher

Über Member
equicyclist said:
No. Although there are some Permitted Bridleways in Lancashire that are for horses only i.e no bicycles. I just feel jealous, some are spectacular.
I commute mostly along a cyclepath that is legally a bridleway and I see horses on there sometimes. Not had any problems but have to go really slowly as the path is narrow. Only near miss on the path I ever had was I nearly hit a cow head-on once. Big horns she had too, would have been painful.

equicyclist said:
Can't say I've got any objection, generally riders are very observant and delay you for a few seconds at most.

Top Bottom