etiquette when overtaking a horse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Funny that ive had more issues with cows in my time than any road users. Had a load chase me once cross country, Think they thought I d come to feed them.I only just made it to the gate in time after chucking my bike over then diving over myself.

Debian

lukesdad said:
Funny that ive had more issues with cows in my time than any road users. Had a load chase me once cross country, Think they thought I d come to feed them.I only just made it to the gate in time after chucking my bike over then diving over myself.

I had that a few months back - except it was a herd of young bulls. I was quite scared actually and, like you, just made it over the fence.

Sargent

Slow right down and give a wide berth.

Oh, and make sure you're brakes dont squeal like mine did once. Almost made the horse go to the toilet on the road :laugh:

Debian

Sargent said:
Slow right down and give a wide berth.

Oh, and make sure you're brakes dont squeal like mine did once. Almost made the horse go to the toilet on the road :biggrin:

That's fine so long as the track has the width to do that. Some bridleways are barely two horses width.

Also, whilst most horse riders are considerate I have come across a few who treated me like something they stepped in and made it plain by their attitude that they didn't think I should be on their bridleway :laugh:

Jezston

Über Member
chillyuk said:
Coming home through Harlow the other day in my car I came upon a glass hearse being drawn by a couple of horses. There were a lot of cars in a queue behind the hearse, and despite being a dual carraigeway no-one was overtaking. Eventually I got peed off doing ten miles an hour and went past slowly. I was not sure of the etiquette in this situation though.

As long as you took your helmet off as you passed, that should be ok :wacko:

Gains

Riverman said:
?
horse-473x309.jpg

rofl that is fantastic!!

I encounter the odd horse or two on my routes so generally do as others say, wide as possible and let the rider know youre there to brace the horse - foot to the face doesnt sound nice!

Top Bottom