Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Meanwhile, in Norway...

If you are coming from the countries/areas in red you have to quarantine on entry. Same with the diagonal red lines as it is deemed there is not enough data. Yellow - no quarantine on entry, but recognised as increasing risk. Green - nowhere. And general advice of no unnecessary travel until 1. October.

kart-innreisekarantene-norden-europa---norsk-12.08.20.png

Norway bases it's decisions on infection rates of 20 cases per 100,000 over last 14 days.

:huh:

Interesting! So does Norway divide up it's 2 Scandi neighbours by region? While treating all other countries as single zones of infection (e.g. the mainland Spain vs Balearics issue)?

And how often do they update the situation? (perhaps more often than UK does, if it's based on a simple numeric criteria... )

Stephenite

Membå
Yes, to the first.

And to the second: Updated every two weeks. These new restrictions came out yesterday afternoon and are in place midnight tonight. So approx. 34 hours notice. Though the government says the rules can change at any time.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Well, I was going to France from 4-7 September with my lad, a trip which we'd postponed once already from June 19-22.

Shame, that, because if Covid doesn't put the kybosh on a trip next year, Brexit will.

I have a plan B in mind for September, just waiting for me lad to confirm interest.
Plan B enacted.

Hotel and return flights to Zurich booked for 4-7 September.

Now watch Switzerland force UK citizens to quarantine as our cases rise.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We'll miss you!

I will have to go to Herefordshire sometime around September but I will be expected to cross into Wales at least to Hay on wye market. I am prepared to take the risk rather than insult the Welsh.

Oh, please don't infer any insult towards the English for my position! I have family in England that I'm missing more than you'll miss me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, please don't infer any insult towards the English for my position! I have family in England that I'm missing more than you'll miss me.
I'm missing my Scottish cousin. He normally comes down with his road bike for the Tour de Yorkshire but of course that was scuppered by coronavirus this year. It isn't just the fact that I won't see him this year - he has bought a new mountain bike and was going to bring his old one down for me, a rather nice GT Zaskar! :whistle:

On a humorous and off topic note....
Many years ago working in the Highlands of Scotland I met a Welshman and his family staying in the hotel I was working.
Every night he raved about his day, how beautiful everywhere was and just what a perfect holiday he was having on his first ever trip to Scotland.
When I asked him why he'd never been up before, he looked at me in all seriousness and replied
"Because I'd have to go through ******* England".^_^

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
True, once Brexit takes place UK citizens won't be able to travel to Europe or is it just France?
As it stands, UK citizens will need a Schengen visa to visit France.

The problem is more logistical than bureaucratic; Kent will be the world's biggest lorry park next year.

cycled thro there a few times of late - all seems to still be there.
I'll believe that when I see it.
I think I will be postponing for a while after Thursday nights news. I was 1/2 expecting the news but hoping for the best.
Two friends have cancelled their planned visit here just two weeks from setting off.
I can't imagine anyone without a flexible work life and money in the bank setting foot outside of the UK this year from today onwards. Euro tunnel will be having a busy night tonight.

True, once Brexit takes place UK citizens won't be able to travel to Europe or is it just France?

As far as I know the EU is allowing UK nationals a 90 day Schengen visa for travel in the EU, just like they do for some other non-EU countries.

The border between France and other EU countries is now practically invisible and randomly goes through fields, villages, and the occasional living room. Statistically that could mean the houseowner can increase their risk of catching Covid-19 just by sitting on the wrong sofa.

Quite.
And how many folk are those folk (maybe 4) in the vehicle interacting with in their separate lives? Especially with the now relaxed/barely in existence lockdown. And if a single one of them catches it from anyone in those separate lives, shoving them in a small metal crucible with three or maybe four other people seems like an excellent way for them to pass it on.
We should ask Dom, he would speak from experience.

My concern is that some of these companies will not reinstate travel for cyclists. It must be tempting for the likes of Eurotunnel, since they might feel the bike service is hardly worth the trouble for them.
I hope not. Foot passengers provided the operators with running cost money during the dead periods and seasons via day trip booze and cig cruises. That will be dead next year with the customs union exit so the attraction of courting none car travellers will fade.
My golden age of cycle touring was as a youngster with no car but an interail ticket and a cross channel ferry. The country would be like a prison for people with no car or motorbike if shanks or pushbike was stopped permanently.
"I would like to leave the island next week".
"Have you got a car sir"?
"No".
"Ah then you'll need to travel by plane".
"But I have a serious fear of air travel".
"Sorry to hear that sir, perhaps you could buy a canoe and paddle across".

Last edited:
I hope not. Foot passengers provided the operators with running cost money during the dead periods and seasons via day trip booze and cig cruises. That will be dead next year with the customs union exit so the attraction of courting none car travellers will fade.
My golden age of cycle touring was as a youngster with no car but an interail ticket and a cross channel ferry. The country would be like a prison for people with no car or motorbike if shanks or pushbike was stopped permanently.
"I would like to leave the island next week".
"Have you got a car sir"?
"No".
"Ah then you'll need to travel by plane".
"But I have a serious fear of air travel".
"Sorry to hear that sir, perhaps you could buy a canoe and paddle across".
on the plus side, i think the age of the car is fading fast.
many many londoners of course don't have a car - that's a a hell of a lot of folk within striking distance of the channel.
I interrailed a fair bit - i agree that it was heavenly freedom of a type i fear rather less young folk enjoy these days with their point to point selfie-flights.
But you interrailed with a bike?

Top Bottom