Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
on the plus side, i think the age of the car is fading fast.
many many londoners of course don't have a car - that's a a hell of a lot of folk within striking distance of the channel.
I interrailed a fair bit - i agree that it was heavenly freedom of a type i fear rather less young folk enjoy these days with their point to point selfie-flights.
But you interrailed with a bike?
I certainly did, several times. Scouting out a hut or empty building in a goods yard next to larger stations to doss down for the remainder of the night while the bike was on another train to be picked up later.
Was the best ticket of any sort that I ever bought, I would decide where I wanted to go as I went along, happy days indeed.
Train and bike allowed me to skip the industrial or boring bits with busy arterial routes. Northern France never appealed to me as a young man so I always skipped that.

Last edited:
Only on short ferry trips of less than one hour.
AIUI, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency rules have been temporarily eased to make travelling in your vehicle on an open car deck compulsory on ferry journeys of less than one hour.
The ban on passengers remaining in a vehicle on enclosed car decks remains in place.
Since the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster the car deck safety is strict. I travelled on Harwich Hook of Holland route once and a Scania tractor unit with a fuel leak caused a several hours wait to disembark as it was dealt with.

many many londoners of course don't have a car - that's a a hell of a lot of folk within striking distance of the channel.
That gives some hope. It's easier to form a well organised lobby in the capital city and find a big hitter in the Parliament to make your voices heard. The fact that Boris touts his biking credentials may help. May it not come to pass but if it does I will add my voice, I see it as a rights issue and a fairly important one at that. The notion that it's their boats so their rules if and when we start living again cuts no ice, it is public transport.

I certainly did, several times. Scouting out a hut or empty building in a goods yard next to larger stations to doss down for the remainder of the night while the bike was on another train to be picked up later.
Was the best ticket of any sort that I ever bought, I would decide where I wanted to go as I went along, happy days indeed.
Train and bike allowed me to skip the industrial or boring bits with busy arterial routes. Northern France never appealed to me as a young man so I always skipped that.
am very impressed.
but still puzzled.
you separated yourself from the bike?
where was this other train sat/going with your bike on it?
can you travel inter-rail with a bike these days?
(I know that interrail isn't - very sadly - quite the same thing these days)
Good thing about cycle touring is of course that as long as you still have decent health and care not a sod what anyone thinks you can maintain the carefree attitude to travel of youth.

Oh, please don't infer any insult towards the English for my position! I have family in England that I'm missing more than you'll miss me.
Obviously, I have never even met you, you could be a bot for all I know. If i stay in Hay on wye I get an allergic reaction to ? Twice its happened and I have never had an allergic reaction in my life other than in Wales. Yet I still go there (only for a few hours) to show respect for the Welsh even though I am alergic to them. You should be doing the same but because we voted for Brexit you disrespect us.
Possibly!

As it stands, UK citizens will need a Schengen visa to visit France.

The problem is more logistical than bureaucratic; Kent will be the world's biggest lorry park next year.
Your certain of that are you? Or just hoping?
May I borrow your crystal ball?
How long will it be a car park? Forever or a week?
Please check your crystal ball and let me know so I can change my travel arrangements, not that I have any at the moment but I might have when I get my enormous (no chance) insurance claim paid.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's staggeringly insulting, true but still!

:eek:

Sorry, I really don’t understand what you’re on about.

My decision to not travel to England or any other place is based on consideration for my (and my family’s) wellbeing. That’s it, nothing else.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Your certain of that are you? Or just hoping?
May I borrow your crystal ball?
How long will it be a car park? Forever or a week?
Please check your crystal ball and let me know so I can change my travel arrangements, not that I have any at the moment but I might have when I get my enormous (no chance) insurance claim paid.
Put it this way... You'll see it on the news.

Top Bottom