Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
No of course, we can't blame Eurostar - but it does very often feel like a service built primarily for Londoners. I guess they need to get away, there is so little to do in the capital, and I'm sure it's the poorest part of the UK ...
Whilst I realise where I live is far from Dover and therefore is always going to be a pain to get to Europe , in my head it should be cheaper to travel by train than to fly. It almost never is.

It seems to be easier/faster/cheaper from Hackney now than from Dover.

No of course, we can't blame Eurostar - but it does very often feel like a service built primarily for Londoners.

There were actually several Eurostars built to work through London but they were never used because there was "No call for their services". Instead they were rented to various companies and several ended up running extra domestic services from London to Newcastle so we could travel from Paris to London by Eurostar, then get off at St. Pancras, cross the road to Kings Cross and get on another Eurostar to Newcastle...

Whilst I realise where I live is far from Dover and therefore is always going to be a pain to get to Europe , in my head it should be cheaper to travel by train than to fly. It almost never is.
a separate and very valid point.
as i understand it air travel is effectively massively subsidised by very low taxes on aviation fuel.
Things are massively going to have to change with regards to air travel.

No of course, we can't blame Eurostar - but it does very often feel like a service built primarily for Londoners. I guess they need to get away, there is so little to do in the capital, and I'm sure it's the poorest part of the UK ...
suggest you look at a map.
where are you?
what is your suggested route for a tunnel between europe and the UK?

On the European side Eurostar manage to go beyond Paris to Brussels and the south of France.
well a fair point (brit train infrastructure has been backwards since not too long after the brits covered the world in tracks) but i think the original point/s were griping about the link between britain and what we used to call the continent.

MarkF

Guru
Add to that the million pounds it costs to get the train from North Yorkshire to London.

Wow, the amount of times we've thought about going to London for the weekend but ended up in BCN/Naples/Gdansk/Catania/Porto/Seville or wherever on a flight 25% the cost of the train fare.

Now the Netherlands is out my options are getting even less, need to get some replies in about mask wearing on some trains, I am exempt right now but want a "normal" as poss holiday.

snorri

Legendary Member
what is your suggested route for a tunnel between europe and the UK?
Lerwick to Bergen would be handy in order to provide the missing link in the North Sea Cycle Route, lost when the Smyril Line decided to bypass the UK in 2007:angry:.

It should be cheaper for me to travel 70 miles on existing (snails-pace) tracks to St Pancras, than 300 miles - and under the English Channel - from StP to somewhere in "Europe".
I agree of course - but that's an entirely different subject - you appeared to be complaining that the tunnel being dug in the south east was some form of london conspiracy/stitch up.
Call me daft but I tend to think that they got the pickaxes out there as it would be shorter/cheaper.

I'm complaining about the pricing. The pricing *now*. They're charging us more for trains in/out of London depending on whether they are headed toward paris - it seems rather fortunate that this benefits those in the same city as English Parliament (where travel/train strategies are decided) is located.

Your suggestion isn't very helpful:
" Blue Hills said:
suggest you look at a map."

snorri

Legendary Member
Add to that the million pounds it costs to get the train from North Yorkshire to London.
Hot tip...Next time tell them you want to go to London via Thurso, BIG savings.

15th Sep 2020
r

DepartArriveDurationChangesStandard Single1st Class SingleStandard Rtn1st Return
THS
06:50
KGX
19:40
12h 50m2

£69.35

£192.70

THS
08:34
KGX
21:40
13h 06m2