Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We were in Spain (in a Motorhome) when all of this CV stuff kicked off. We took the decision to head back to UK, via France, rather than spend an unknown amount of time "locked down" in Spain. In meantime have made other arrangements in UK, so, will not he heading to mainland Europe immediately, but, perhaps, end August/beginning of September, we may be found heading South. ;)

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
I think caution is the order of the day or even year as there have been many stranded due to covid-19, im not sure in the event of a future possible lockdown, id want to be stranded in a far away land...
I agree, I wouldn't venture to a different continent. But Europe surely wouldn't be difficult to get home to if needed?

I agree, I wouldn't venture to a different continent. But Europe surely wouldn't be difficult to get home to if needed?

I was working in Italy when the North got lockdown. I was stuck for 4 weeks and the only flight I could get was Alitalia to Heathrow, one and only flight available. A week at home and I was on my way to Sardinia.
It took 3 days, 4 flights and 2 overnight stops Just to get from Manchester to Cagliari, not to mention Government letters of invitation, paperwork and travel forms for approval.
Yes it can be difficult to get home from Europe if they lockdown again

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
I was working in Italy when the North got lockdown. I was stuck for 4 weeks and the only flight I could get was Alitalia to Heathrow, one and only flight available. A week at home and I was on my way to Sardinia.
It took 3 days, 4 flights and 2 overnight stops Just to get from Manchester to Cagliari, not to mention Government letters of invitation, paperwork and travel forms for approval.
Yes it can be difficult to get home from Europe if they lockdown again
I appreciate that but then the world was taken by surprise. If we did get a rise cases this time would lockdown be as sudden? Or would you get some notice, for example you have a week to return home.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll have to travel within Europe for work but I'm not planning on travelling for leisure. If Wee Jimmy Krankie allows it I may go up to Scotland (and self cater) to visit family in late August.

Next cycling tour is planned for May next year and that'll be a 2 week end to end.

I appreciate that but then the world was taken by surprise. If we did get a rise cases this time would lockdown be as sudden? Or would you get some notice, for example you have a week to return home.

Even now the flights for me to get home are limited. Some running Friday, Sat,Sun only. Others not at all.Its not the notice required, its finding the flights. And from experience, when they lockdown, they lockdown and you wont be getting home. Germany was even harder for movements in and out of airports.
I am sure tour operators will have something in place to bring people back but if the country you are in closes borders then not a lot anyone can do to fly you home

footloose crow

Über Member
We will be in Brittany in a few days time for some cycling about and then heading south in the campervan for 3-4 weeks and more cycling. Cornwall has seen record rainfall through June and its rained every day of July so far. We have a static caravan in the Lot where we can stay if locked down and the ferries stop running without notice (unlikely). Only the cat will notice if we don't come home for a few months. Understandably a little apprehensive but partly that is because we haven't left the county let alone the country for five months.

it would if France re-enacted lockdown rules and police stop you for being on the move

Would you be allowed to get transport to get back to the UK?
Could people on a package holiday get caught in a lockdown?
I'm fairly sure that happened in March :sad:

I guess any future outbreaks will be much more limited, so you're only likely to be stranded for a few weeks ... but it's one more thing to worry about. Adventurous types will probably take such things in their stride!
(I quite like the idea of sneaking past gun-toting gendarmes/polizei thru the night, and bribing a fisherman to smuggle us back to Good Old Blighty ... )

SafetyThird

Not cycling but at the start of the year I booked a flight to go and see a friend in Mexico at the end of September. I'm hoping at this stage that the foreign office will say it's a bad idea, that's the only way my insurance will refund my flight cost of nearly a grand. Other than that, I'm staying put while waiting to see if the second wave comes through.

A friend who had it said the following: 'if anyone thinks it's just like a bad bout of flu then unless your regular bouts of flu consist of screaming in agony while simultaneously sh1tting yourself while coughing blood out through your oxygen mask in hospital', you're talking out of your @rse. That was enough for me to keep being VERY careful. She still isn't fully recovered, two months on.

Next year though, I harbour a plan to ride the France en Velo route from St. Malo to Nice but, whether that is possible is anyone's guess.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Bike in vehicle across the channel, that's not a bad idea. It's not really proper cycle touring but does give you the chance to get out of Dodge if it goes Tango Uniform again.

Top Bottom