Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Yep, we are off to France in 2weeks.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Would you be allowed to get transport to get back to the UK?
Could people on a package holiday get caught in a lockdown?

We were in Spain when lockdown kicked in. We were in a Motorhome, and travelled back to UK via Spain and France. We were stopped a couple of times at checkpoints, but, we took the trouble to find out “the rules”, and followed them, no problems.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Yep, we are off to France in 2weeks.

Likewise, driving, tunnel with bikes.

Campsite (mobile home thereon to be precise) awaits.

Generally a very low risk socially distant holiday I think, can't see any reason it is worse than doing similar in the uk.

Very excited at prospect of first Alpine pass for several years.

Simon_m

Guru
Julia9054
I'm sure it will be fine. When I had to cancel all our accommodation for our 3week trip in France a few weeks back, the campsites and hotels, although understanding, were saying that in the countryside it is all fine. Restaurants are open now too. I imagine that some things will be closed, I think some of the chateaus we wanted to visit are, and the local festivals cancelled too. Generally, we think it will all be fine otherwise we'd no go.
I think be brave and do it, enjoy life.
roubaixtuesday
cool, have a fab time also. We are not sure if it will be quiet or busy with French trying to escape also. Enjoy the Alps. I will be just above you in Alsace on the Col du Ballon. :smile:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Just looked at Brittany Ferries to see availability for September, they are not allowing foot passengers with bikes who are prepared to book a cabin. I'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons, totally discriminatory. We would be self sufficient for transport and accommodation but swimming the channel is a step to far given there is no alternative in the south west.

Last edited:

Dwn

I wonder if the Eurotunnel bike service will become busier now that at least one ferry company is turning away cyclists. Was a good deal, but only if Calais was a suitable arrival port for your trip

Just looked at Brittany Ferries to see availability for September, they are not allowing foot passengers with bikes who are prepared to book a cabin. I'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons, totally discriminatory. We would be self sufficient for transport and accommodation but swimming the channel is a step to far given there is no alternative in the south west.
See earlier posts about little Hitlers :sad:

Dwn

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Much as I'd love to, I won't be going abroad at least until next summer. Too many uncertainties for now.

Plus the fact we have one of the highest Covid 19 rates in the world and it doesn't feel right to go to places which have the thing under better control.

Maybe a Few longish day rides around East Anglia close to home. I'll be happy with that.

Last edited:
Oh dear. I've also just noticed that DFDS may not be taking cyclists on the Newhaven to Dieppe service for a while:

"Capacity on each sailing is now reduced for passengers and only available to those travelling in a vehicle for essential travel."
Are they staying IN their vehicle to prevent transmission to other passengers? Who is checking that the journeys are "essential"? And by what criteria??

Not remotely surprised - the country is run by drivers, no-one wants cyclists cluttering up their businesses. Or streets, for that matter ...

(I could rant about this all day. Does anyone think it would help??)

Are they staying IN their vehicle to prevent transmission to other passengers? Who is checking that the journeys are "essential"? And by what criteria??

Not remotely surprised - the country is run by drivers, no-one wants cyclists cluttering up their businesses. Or streets, for that matter ...

(I could rant about this all day. Does anyone think it would help??)
Quite.
And how many folk are those folk (maybe 4) in the vehicle interacting with in their separate lives? Especially with the now relaxed/barely in existence lockdown. And if a single one of them catches it from anyone in those separate lives, shoving them in a small metal crucible with three or maybe four other people seems like an excellent way for them to pass it on.

Top Bottom