Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
back from a trip from Hants to Devon. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=2sf&doc_id=23073&v=2h Madly heading into the wind! But really nice to be out of the house. The one campsite I stayed at was fine, with wipe-down rules etc. Several smaller campsites I called had decided not to open at all this year, but I find even in a normal year many of the small sites make zero effort to make money by simply answering the phone or emails. They often sound pissed off to have a call. Two nights stealth/free camping, two nights with a friend

jay clock

Massive member
I dont I pack that much for 6 weeks working in the Middle East !! 🤣 Enjoy the trip & will follow the blog with interest
i know I have a lot! Same for a 3 week tour as a few days

Things I could have saved on:

Laptop. Only about 1300g inc charger but needed on this trip in case of work

Cooking kit. I could have managed without but I like a coffee/tea. A small travel kettle would have worked for campsites

Clothes - didn't wear the long trousers but very light

Tent generous two man - if I had the cash I would consider the next size down for shorter trips. But the MSR Hubba Hubba NX is superb

If you do, let us know what it is like.

Sunny:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_32.JPG

bladesman73

Über Member
Im unsure what to do. I had planned to go to Netherlands again thia summer, ferry to Hook and then stay in various accommodations whilst touring the country. I have looked at travel advice and all seems ok to travel so long as covid protocol is followed. Am i right with this assertion?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Im unsure what to do. I had planned to go to Netherlands again thia summer, ferry to Hook and then stay in various accommodations whilst touring the country. I have looked at travel advice and all seems ok to travel so long as covid protocol is followed. Am i right with this assertion?

Check with https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice and with your travel insurers.

bladesman73

Über Member
n.b. for Netherlands - think they don't take foreign credit cards outside of main towns. So if cash is still forbidden, you'll need one of their weird local cards. (posted by rider on YACF recently - don't ask me!).
Just read on netherlands gov site cash still accepted in most shops

dnrc

Veteran
I'm off on Sunday - all the .gov pages have travel updates and right now everywhere is good to go. Insurance including covid contraction cover is available now.

I fly into Cologne, will head for Koblenz and then spend some time pottering around the Moselle/Nurburgring/Eiffel area, will then maybe pop in to Antwerp and then up to get the ferry home at the hook.

Can't wait - will be my first break of more than 3-4 days since this time last year.

FYI you can sign up for real time travel updates on the .gov websites for countries you are planning to visit - they will email you whenever the advice changes.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had 'The Conversation' with the Husband today about going to France this summer (not necessarily touring, just on hols). He's adamant we don't go. I'm genuinely gutted today. The idea of being in the lake in Annecy with an aperol literally got me through lockdown. I'm normally pretty upbeat and grateful for my lovely life...but today I'm a little bit tearful about not going on hols.

MarkF

Guru
I had 'The Conversation' with the Husband today about going to France this summer (not necessarily touring, just on hols). He's adamant we don't go. I'm genuinely gutted today. The idea of being in the lake in Annecy with an aperol literally got me through lockdown. I'm normally pretty upbeat and grateful for my lovely life...but today I'm a little bit tearful about not going on hols.

Go without him.:okay:

Top Bottom