Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Quite.
And how many folk are those folk (maybe 4) in the vehicle interacting with in their separate lives? Especially with the now relaxed/barely in existence lockdown. And if a single one of them catches it from anyone in those separate lives, shoving them in a small metal crucible with three or maybe four other people seems like an excellent way for them to pass it on.
My concern is that some of these companies will not reinstate travel for cyclists. It must be tempting for the likes of Eurotunnel, since they might feel the bike service is hardly worth the trouble for them.

This is the Free Market for you.

If roads were run the same way we wouldn't get access to those either; it takes an Act of Parliament to force people to permit us to cycle.

If I do look more seriously at a trip to Europe later in the year, it will probably involve hire bikes from some civilised capital*. (or courier the bike over - that's quite doable, just expensive). Jeez, it's looking cheaper+easier to buy/tax/insure a car for a month, just to carry the bike across the channel!
(*Having paid some outrageous price to escape the UK on Eurostar.)

Dwn

If I do look more seriously at a trip to Europe later in the year, it will probably involve hire bikes from some civilised capital*. (or courier the bike over - that's quite doable, just expensive). Jeez, it's looking cheaper+easier to buy/tax/insure a car for a month, just to carry the bike across the channel!
(*Having paid some outrageous price to escape the UK on Eurostar.)
I've been looking into Dieppe to Paris with my wife, and had thought about taking the bikes on the car to Dieppe, parking up, and then cycling to Paris. However, I'm now struggling to find a train that would allow us and bike to get back to Dieppe.

Despite the weather, horrible roads, dangerous drivers, and midges it looks like my only biking this year will be the west coast of Scotland.

Solocle

Über Member
My concern is that some of these companies will not reinstate travel for cyclists. It must be tempting for the likes of Eurotunnel, since they might feel the bike service is hardly worth the trouble for them.
DFDS -
Ferries are sailing to normal schedules from 10th July for all passengers.
Due to French medical association requirements, the wearing of facemasks is now compulsory for all passengers travelling on our routes between UK and France.

That's Dover-Calais or Dunkirk. So it looks like 10th July and you're good to go.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Are they staying IN their vehicle to prevent transmission to other passengers? Who is checking that the journeys are "essential"? And by what criteria??

Not remotely surprised - the country is run by drivers, no-one wants cyclists cluttering up their businesses. Or streets, for that matter ...

(I could rant about this all day. Does anyone think it would help??)

Unless they have dramatically changed the rules, you cannot stay in vehicle (or, even on car deck), on a cross channel ferry. Eurotunnel you do stay in your vehicle.

Don’t think your rant will change anything, but, personally, I like a good rant, ;)

Dwn

:laugh: Don't forget the miserable (2-legged) locals!

It's gorgeous up there, you'll love it. Take your own cheese, and it will beat northern France on just about every count!
Haha. I'm one of the two-legged locals so that part doesn't bother me so much!

snorri

Legendary Member
Are they staying IN their vehicle to prevent transmission to other passengers?
Only on short ferry trips of less than one hour.
AIUI, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency rules have been temporarily eased to make travelling in your vehicle on an open car deck compulsory on ferry journeys of less than one hour.
The ban on passengers remaining in a vehicle on enclosed car decks remains in place.

jay clock

Massive member
Have fun, particularly with your planned wildcamp night. Have popped over to your crazyguy blog - however challenging the freecamp (would love to see a pic) it will surely be luxury compared to casa emilia.
well spotted

here was my wild camp the first night
IMG_7443.jpg

Top Bottom