Europe is open! Who's going?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I just read today that even cases are now spiking again in China. This thing is literally kicking our butts. But hey, what's more important? Being careful and waiting this thing out until there's a vaccine or saying "Ah, what the heck, you only live once. I'm spoiled rotten and have absolutely no backbone so I'm going to just throw all care to the wind and live my life the way I want to live it and to heck with everyone else." Did I just say that?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Friends daughter's was more worried about travel insurance being void, and what would happen if she lost her designer clothes. Shows you what youngsters are thinking.

gavgav

Guru
Our friend's daughter flew out to Spain this afternoon with her boyfriend's family on Jet2. Between this afternoon and this evening Jet2 have cancelled all flights until mid August. Shes OK as its the family's villa.
We’ve had the memo at work, today, that if you travel somewhere, knowingly, which has quarantine on return rules (including Spain now) then you will be expected to take the 2 weeks isolation as Annual Leave or unpaid leave. If you are caught out whilst already away, I.e if you’d already left for Spain, before the quarantine on return rules were imposed, then you will be supported and get paid sick leave.....

Won’t worry me, as to our caravan in Wales, will be the only place I’m travelling to for the foreseeable future, certainly into 2021

DRM

Guru
That's a bit harsh, hard working people want a holiday with their kids, it's what many work all year for, or endure work all year for. It seems to me that they were royally shafted with quickly moving goal posts.
I don’t think it is harsh, we should have been in France next week, we postponed the whole thing until 2021, as it wasn’t worth the risk, especially when 2 weeks ago there were reports of spikes in the Catalunya region of Spain, and in North Western France, there‘s no point going somewhere, only to get stuck where everything is closed, or having to isolate on your return, also if you go in the knowledge that covid 19 levels are on the rise your insurance is null and void.

MarkF

Guru
I don’t think it is harsh, we should have been in France next week, we postponed the whole thing until 2021, as it wasn’t worth the risk, especially when 2 weeks ago there were reports of spikes in the Catalunya region of Spain, and in North Western France, there‘s no point going somewhere, only to get stuck where everything is closed, or having to isolate on your return, also if you go in the knowledge that covid 19 levels are on the rise your insurance is null and void.

Was there any forewarning anywhere that a "quarantine period" would/could be introduced again, I saw nothing? There is no sense in saying "go" and not expecting families to do just that.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Was there any forewarning anywhere that a "quarantine period" would/could be introduced again, I saw nothing? There is no sense in saying "go" and not expecting families to do just that.

Unfortunately you are talking about a government's attempt at properly managing people during a pandemic. Coming from the US as I do, I have purposely NOT listened to a word coming from most of the people in our present administration. Even Fauci has been somewhat inconsistent. But he was following what they knew at the time. But the reality of this situation is that not a single person should be counting on their government to protect them or to give them the proper information to keep them safe. As unfortunate as that is, the only person who can keep you safe is you. It's up to each of us to listen to as many different sources of information and figure out who knows what they are talking about and then decide for yourself what it will take to stay healthy and safe. It really doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to realize that this is a global situation with most of the planet impacted. Therefore, as much as people may work hard all year and really look forward to their vacations, it's kind of too freaking bad that they can't go this year if they also want to stay safe and healthy and don't want to be inconvenienced by quarantines, etc. Ask yourself, when have we ever had to deal with something like this? NEVER. 1918. Who of us was around then? 0.01% of us. The other 99.9% of us should be sitting tight and accepting the severity of the situation. We don't have to like it. But it just is. Accept it or don't. If you don't accept it, don't complain later on when you get sick or the numbers keep skyrocketing and your ability to move about is restricted again. It's really not all that complicated. But some people seem to want to make it into something it really isn't. This is most definitely not about restricting people's rights. If that's what some people think, then they are sorely mistaken.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Gov.uk travel advice, published 4th Feb & updated 10th July. There are enough warning signs that the situation, and therefore that advice/requirements, could quickly change. Specifically:
"This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice."

Julia9054

Guru
It's worth the risk for me. Eurotunnel and campsites booked. If something happens before tomorrow, financially I'll just suck it up. If everything shuts, I'm happy to live on bread, cheese and wine on the campsite and I have made sure that I am back 2 weeks before school re starts.

DRM

Guru
It's worth the risk for me. Eurotunnel and campsites booked. If something happens before tomorrow, financially I'll just suck it up. If everything shuts, I'm happy to live on bread, cheese and wine on the campsite and I have made sure that I am back 2 weeks before school re starts.
That’s all well and good, but I don’t get 6 weeks off in which to self isolate, if I have to self isolate, I don’t get paid, it’s that simple, secondly & more importantly, if my wife were to catch it, there’s every chance it would be fatal, I can’t see the point in risking it, were is the fun in being abroad when everything could be closed at the drop of a hat.

Julia9054

Guru
That’s all well and good, but I don’t get 6 weeks off in which to self isolate, if I have to self isolate, I don’t get paid, it’s that simple, secondly & more importantly, if my wife were to catch it, there’s every chance it would be fatal, I can’t see the point in risking it, were is the fun in being abroad when everything could be closed at the drop of a hat.
Everyone's circumstances are different. I go to France for the walking and cycling. I won't be visiting any attractions.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I can’t see the point in risking it, were is the fun in being abroad when everything could be closed at the drop of a hat.

That's what I don't get. It's just not worth the risk for me. Resisting the urge to go abroad, for just one summer doesn't seem like a big ask to me.
This 'I know it's a catastrophic global pandemic and all that, but I really need some sun' thing doesn't sit well with me. I'll never understand people.

Julia9054

Guru
That's what I don't get. It's just not worth the risk for me. Resisting the urge to go abroad, for just one summer doesn't seem like a big ask to me.
This 'I know it's a catastrophic global pandemic and all that, but I really need some sun' thing doesn't sit well with me. I'll never understand people.
I don't see that I am at any more risk of spreading/catching covid19 on a rural campsite in France than I would be in Britain somewhere. In my experience, campsites in Britain are often more overcrowded than in France

Top Bottom