European Championships 2018 Glasgow *Spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
ps. Does anyone know whether the road cycling in this replaces the events won last year by the likes of Kristoff?

According to Wikipedia, yes, it does:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Road_Championships

Glasgow is seniors only though. The U23 and Junior races will be held in the Czech Republic.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Looking at the information on the website about the route, it only shows a 14km city circuit, but presumably that's just for the finishing laps and there will be some open road stuff away from the city centre.

The elite men's race was 241km last year.

Looking at the information on the website about the route, it only shows a 14km city circuit, but presumably that's just for the finishing laps and there will be some open road stuff away from the city centre.

16 laps of the circuit for the men, 9 laps for the women.

The TT course goes out of the city.

Va Va Froome

Über Member
This is different to The European Games which has been at Baku, Azerbaijan (2015) and will be at Minsk, Belarus (2019) the next time

I wonder why they are having cycling and other sports in two separate "every 4-years" European events. Will it be a battle to become most prestigious European multisports competition?

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom

No it's a Crit

OP
OP
brommers

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Sorry if this is a bit OT but I've never heard of this European Championships thingy before. (other than reading here) It's on a four year cycle, so it's like a kind of European Olympics, (or European Commonwealth Games). But where the individual sports already have an annual european championships it takes the place of these.

I'm a bit confused. For instance there's already an annual European <insert sport here> Championships. So every four years it will be hosted as part of the multi-sport "European Championships". And on the other three years it won't, and will be back to the usual European <sport> Championships?
This is a totally new event, but not sure whether it's annual or 4 yearly - I would guess annually.

Top Bottom