European Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
The only down side to Spain winning was voiced by Graham Taylor on the radio this morning:

"The last time Spain won anything was in 1964 and we all know what happened two years later. So I'm backing a Spain win because it will be such a good omen for England."

Precipitous.

Ah yes, the great Graham Taylor. Now reinvented as an 'expert' pundit on R5 - the man who played Tony Adams at fullback, took off Lineker when we were losing and got us knocked out of Euro 92 saying we couldn't beat Sweden because they're genetically stronger, bigger and fitter than the English.
Swedes 2 Turnips1

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
Ah yes, the great Graham Taylor. Now reinvented as an 'expert' pundit on R5 - the man who played Tony Adams at fullback, took off Lineker when we were losing and got us knocked out of Euro 92 saying we couldn't beat Sweden because they're genetically stronger, bigger and fitter than the English.
Swedes 2 Turnips1

And when Holland beat England, berated the referee's assistant with (quote from memory): "Your mate out there just lost me my job. I hope he's proud of himself."

Nothing quite like self-awareness, and Graham Talylor has little like it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
And when Holland beat England, berated the referee's assistant with (quote from memory): "Your mate out there just lost me my job. I hope he's proud of himself."

Nothing quite like self-awareness, and Graham Talylor has little like it.

"Do I not like that":biggrin:

yello

So, England can only win the World Cup if Spain win the Euro championship... and we wonder why Taylor was a rubbish manager! The guy is obviously a tactical genius.

Lineker's 'football is a game where the Germans win on penalties' quote was used before the game here on French tele. Kinda odd hearing it in a different language!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I thought he was a tactical genius looking at the diagrams ITV had in their intros to one of the previous world cups!!!! Very funny they were.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Andy in Sig said:
Thank God it's all over. When is the next quadrennial chav fest? I suppose it will be the world cup. I'll have perfected going into hiding by then.

Not all football supporters are chavs!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
unusually, the tournament has been won by the best team, rather than by the germans grinding out result after result and winning on penalties.

girofan

Keith Oates said:
So is it England for the World Cup now that Spain have won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a chance! It takes skill to play world class sides; have you watched an England player trying to control a pass? Even England manager Capello says they lack the necessary technical skills.

Top Bottom