Eurosport Player vs GCN RacePass

Eurosport or GCN?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Some of you may have seen the announcement from GCN that they have a special offer on their streaming service - £20 for a whole year of pro racing!

I currently pay £84 a year for Eurosport. It's great. The tech works perfectly and I do enjoy the high standard of commentary, Carlton, big Maggie, Smithy, Wiggo on the bike, the Juan and only, etc etc.

I'm clearly trying to convince myself that's what makes it worth 4 times what I would pay to watch the same feed from GCN...

Any thoughts?

ps. I don't want to rip a dodgy stream for free (save for in emergencies), I do like the feeling that I'm supporting the sport by subscribing...

jamin100

Guru
Where did you see it was £20?
A years Eurosport pass for £20 can be had quite often, mainly around Christmas or at the beginning of big tournaments for a few weeks.

infact its on now and you get access to ALL sport, not just cycling.

1594998976607.png

And i'm guessing that as Eurosport own GCN, that the supported devices will be the same
1594999114696.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Where did you see it was £20?
A years Eurosport pass for £20 can be had quite often, mainly around Christmas or at the beginning of big tournaments for a few weeks.

infact its on now and you get access to ALL sport, not just cycling.

View attachment 536486

And i'm guessing that as Eurosport own GCN, that the supported devices will be the same
View attachment 536487
I saw an ad on their socials, plus there’s an ad in the app.
You’re right about the good deals for Eurosport occasionally, not sure I can quit and then sign up again though.
didn't know they owned GCN though, thanks for that bit of info!

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'd say use a new email address to sign up for Eurosport on the reduced fee :okay: I signed up for £20 a year or two ago and let it renew at £40. If it bothered me that much I suppose I'd throw a new email address at it.

Didn't know it was possible to pay £84 for Eurosport :eek:

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'd say use a new email address to sign up for Eurosport on the reduced fee :okay: I signed up for £20 a year or two ago and let it renew at £40. If it bothered me that much I suppose I'd throw a new email address at it.

Didn't know it was possible to pay £84 for Eurosport :eek:
It’s crept up on me unnoticed over the years and is now £6:99 a month!

To be fair, they have paused the charges while there’s been nothing on, which was good to see.

jamin100

Guru
Tbh no one in our household watches any other sport so I may sign up to the GCN option just to have it all on the same App and in case there is any other cycling related shows they do that won’t be on Eurosport. I like GCN have have been a subscriber since the very early days.

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've cancelled my current silly monthly £7! Now, who gets my £20 for the year and £40 next?!?!?

Thanks guys...

dodgy

Eurosport used to have a reputation for dropping coverage of a cycle race if tennis came on. I take it with streaming that's less likely and you're guaranteed decent coverage of the sport you're trying to watch as it's not contending with traditional 'channels'?

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Eurosport used to have a reputation for dropping coverage of a cycle race if tennis came on. I take it with streaming that's less likely and you're guaranteed decent coverage of the sport you're trying to watch as it's not contending with traditional 'channels'?
True, doesn't seem to be a problem anymore as I'm only ever watching online. Have fond 1990s memories of watching yachting or some nonsense instead of the sport I was hoping for...

dodgy

Hmmm, seems the GCN Race Pass is exclusive to portable devices, no browser service or Smart TV app? So you can only watch via mobile phone/tablet?

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Hmmm, seems the GCN Race Pass is exclusive to portable devices, no browser service or Smart TV app? So you can only watch via mobile phone/tablet?
They say you can cast, which is what I do a lot, but I am starting to lean towards Eurosport now I know I can get the same deal.

RobNewcastle

Is it possible to watch Eurosport through your smart tv? I’ve got access on my iPad and iPhone

Top Bottom