Eurosport Player vs GCN RacePass

Eurosport or GCN?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If anyone spots a £20 deal before the Giro, can they tag me please. The only free to air I can find is S4C and my Welsh is a bit 'turd cŵn'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If anyone spots a £20 deal before the Giro, can they tag me please. The only free to air I can find is S4C and my Welsh is a bit 'turd cŵn'.
I think that Quest will be doing an evening highlights show again?

ColinJ

I hope so, but the listings I saw did not have it.
I can't find listings for more than a week ahead and the Giro starts in 8 days!

I saw an ad for it on Quest a few nights ago. Check the listings on Sunday and they should show the highlights show for the evening of Saturday, 3rd October?

I have a Eurosport Player subscription, but I'm happy to watch a highlights show for most stages. I might cast a couple of live mountain stages from my laptop to the TV while working.

Adam4868

Guru
I've seen Quest advertising highlight recently.Failing that you could sign up to Eurosport for a month 6.99 I think.Plenty of cycling should be on....fingers crossed !

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm watching the Giro on Eurosport via my Sky box.

The commentators are heavily pushing ad free coverage on the GCN Racepass and on 'eurosport.com'.

You also get their Breakaway highlights/chat programme, which used to be on via the Sky box, but is no longer.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Presumably that's why the highlights show on Quest has "The Breakaway" branding visible in the set background.

Very likely.

Still plenty of highlights programmes on Eurosport via Sky, but they are not branded and the editing is a bit ropey.

Very often, the programme is just a replay of the last 50 minutes or so of the day's action.

Not sure what the deal is for Eurosport to be on the Sky platform.

I wonder if Eurosport isn't trying to reposition itself as an online subscription broadcaster, at least in western Europe where high speed internet access is increasingly available.

ColinJ

The commentators are heavily pushing ad free coverage on the GCN Racepass and on 'eurosport.com'.
I wonder if Eurosport isn't trying to reposition itself as an online subscription broadcaster, at least in western Europe where high speed internet access is increasingly available.
I get lots of ads on Eurosport Player. It has always irritated me that I pay a subscription but still get them. Mind you, at least they are skippable on catch-up.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There have been two Eurosport Player streams for all of the recent races - the normal "as broadcast" stream, with ads, and an "uninterrupted" stream without. The commentary may occasionally stop during the ad break, but that's all

There have been two Eurosport Player streams for all of the recent races - the normal "as broadcast" stream, with ads, and an "uninterrupted" stream without. The commentary may occasionally stop during the ad break, but that's all
I think that's where I went wrong today. Been ad free since the first week of the TdF then today I had car ads disturbing my siesta every 7 minutes.

ColinJ

That's good!

I watched the TdF on ITV4 though, and have been following the Giro on Quest.

I'll have to fire up Eurosport Player to catch up on some of the other races that I've missed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The ads on my Eurosport/Sky box stream are not too long or too often, so bearable.

Unlike films on ITV2, 3, and 4, which are almost unwatchable due to regular lengthy interruptions, even recorded and fast forwarded.

At one time, ad breaks were regulated on broadcast television, but I suspect it's now a free for all.

ColinJ

Unlike films on ITV2, 3, and 4, which are almost unwatchable due to regular lengthy interruptions, even recorded and fast forwarded.
I have my PVR set up so I can jump recordings forwards in 1 minute steps or back in 15 second steps. I have got ad-skipping down to a fine art now. The ad breaks that they are showing on Quest during the Giro are 5-and-a-bit minutes long so I go (forwards) Skip-Skip-Skip-Skip-Skip-Skip (backwards) Skip-Skip-Skip. It takes me just over 5 seconds to do, which I can live with.

Top Bottom