Eurosport Player

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
No that there is much that we can do about it either way ...

Hmm - I watched a few minutes on the laptop. It normally runs at an inadequate 1.8 Mb/s but it was just running at a sorry 1.0 - 1.3 Mb/s. The picture frame rate was smooth but the quality was fuzzy. I think I prefer the pristine but jerky app!

Was it enough to see Schleck going backwards?:whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Superbikes coverage has finished and now they are showing highlights on Eurosport 2 of what we just watched live on 1, and guess what - it isn't jerky! Whereas, the football news on 1 is jerky. Clearly a technical problem on 1 then!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here we are nearly a month later, and the Android app is still doing its freezing thing every 8 or 9 seconds for about 1/2 a second. It is annoying on the cycling (just watching today's Dauphine highlights) but it is totally infuriating when watching tennis!

I'm just checking - are any of you having the same problem with the Android player app?

Despite everybody saying that the customer support is terrible, I'm going to try contacting them tomorrow and I want to know that I am not the only one having this problem!

The app worked perfectly about 2 or 3 updates ago so I know my Galaxy Tab is perfectly capable of displaying smooth 720p Eurosport Player coverage, if only they would fix whatever they broke!

Bong

Veteran
Sorry to hear your android woes. I watch the Player via Windows - usually on the HD TV via the HDMI cable. I was a little fed up when trying to watch the Dauphine one evening last week and all I could get was a frozen picture - either of Annabel Croft on 1 or a match at the French Open tennis on 2. I even emailed Eurosport who acknolwedged but haven't not explained why the problem occurred. I tried on several computers/OS (XP & 7).

However, much to my delight, it was fully operational next day and the feed (if that is the technical term) had increased form 1800 kps to 2500 kps (hope I have got that right) giving near HD (or even HD) over the internet. That will knock the spots off the ITV 4 transmission for the Tour. It can be slightly stuttery but I get the feeling that the limitation is the actual capture - the helicopter shots have better resolution than the motorbike ones.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

However, much to my delight, it was fully operational next day and the feed (if that is the technical term) had increased form 1800 kps to 2500 kps (hope I have got that right) giving near HD (or even HD) over the internet. That will knock the spots off the ITV 4 transmission for the Tour. It can be slightly stuttery but I get the feeling that the limitation is the actual capture - the helicopter shots have better resolution than the motorbike ones.
I just tried it on this laptop and sure enough, the limit has gone up from 1.8 Mb/s to 2.5 Mb/s which has made a big improvement to the picture quality. It's not as good as the app, but it is not bad. The bad news is that the speed is regularly going up and down so the quality is varying, but it is smoother than the app.

I'll go back to the app on the tablet when the stuttering problem has been fixed, but in the mean time I'll use the Windows version on the laptop.

Letsbikeit

My display is 'jerky' on all Eurosport player feeds. I looks like a frame rate issue (Windows 7 Samsung RF711 Chrome browser) :-(

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Eurosport player frozen, might have to do some work, bah...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Eurosport player frozen, might have to do some work, bah...
I've given up on the Android app because it has been stuttering since before the Giro, but it is now doing it on the web player too.

I got a pop-up box today saying that Eurosport are carrying out technical improvements, so to expect problems. Super time to be doing it, while the TdF coverage is on. I reckon that they have got a lot of new subscribers and their servers can't cope! :cursing:

The good news is that the picture quality between stutters is very good since they increased the bitrate from 1.8 Mb/s to 2.5 Mb/s.Even better news - the grainy and colour-banded pictures that I had been seeing were not Eurosport's fault! Somehow, I had switched my laptop from 32 bit to 16 bit colour - now fixed ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The android app is appalling, even with a 20Mbps wi-fi connection is keeps freezing and stuttering for no good reason, have no problems watching BBC for example.
What's really annoying is that 3 months ago it was brilliant, but then they broke it! :cursing: (My tablet downloaded an automatic update for the player app and it never worked properly again, despite another couple of fixes.)

Top Bottom