Eurosport v ITV 4

who provided the best TV coverage of the Tour de France?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
You're o' Sport. Of course, the daftest thing is that whenever I listen to one of those commentators, I have an overwhelming urge to confess my sins. Betcha can't guess who, can you? This channel CARES about its scheduling while ITV4, erm, don't. Also, I don't know the blert's name but him with the ridICulous hair on ITV4 leaves me unsure whether to laugh or to weep up a kidney.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So the choice is between a dire service, scheduling, badly placed adverts, late starts missing the crucial action, 2 of the worst commentators ever to sit on each others laps and LA fanboys to boot.....

...and Eurosport's virtually flawless wall to wall coverage.

I need time to think and I'll get back to you!

So the choice is between a dire service, scheduling, badly placed adverts, late starts missing the crucial action, 2 of the worst commentators ever to sit on each others laps and LA fanboys to boot.....

...and Eurosport's virtually flawless wall to wall coverage.

I need time to think and I'll get back to you!
Eurosports can have dire scheduling too but on the other points I'd have to agree with you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Full coverage on Eurosport in glorious HD, plus highlights and reruns v ITV4 with more crap talk then racing... hmmm. have to think about it

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Eurosport are much better. This was not always the case, eurosport didn't even go widescreen until a year or two ago but now they are and have HD and I do actually like the commentators more on top of that. Chapeau to their efforts the last couple of years.

No choice, ITV4 is it for me and I had to get Freesat just for that. Besides, over the years I've grown to Love Liggett and Sherwen. They could do with freshening the format though, it's nearly the same as when it left Channel 4 but they do seem to get more rider interviews than before.

PaulB

Legendary Member
One improvement is that Eurosport have binned off some Septic woman they used to have commenting on there. She was abysmal.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
For the race commentary, Eurosport without a doubt - I love Harmon and Kelly.

Whilst Phil and Paul have provided a lot of my tour de france memories, I think Harmon and Kelly are better for someone who follows pro-cycling season 'round, personally.

For the pre/post show, I like ITV4 (wish they had Stephen Roche though).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If ITV showed it on ITV1 rather than 4, they could have it in HD. Sadly there won't be an ITV4 HD maybe for another 8-10 years.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Watching it live on ITV wasn't so bad, but the highlights show is annoying...

Still voted for Eurosport though...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I haven't seen the Sky version and I'm not going to pay for it either. I have freesat and before that watched it on C4, like crackle I'm ok with the ITV4 team. The ITV4 live coverage is really good but I can only give time over for that on the weekend so the highlight show, in the week, works out fine for me. And there's the ITV4 + 1 if the kids are late going to bed. It's not perfect but at least it's on!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am with Crackle and 3BM here also having Freesat. I found the highlights coverage on ITV 4 OK and liked the ITV4 + 1 option

Proto

Legendary Member
No Europsport for me, so it's ITV4 only.

I think Phil Liggett is good. Paul Sherwen is good too for the occasional laugh and decent understanding of race tactics, but I do wish he'd just shut up every now and again. It's as if he abhors a silence and feels the need to to fill it with waffle. Just shut up and let us watch the bloody race. From the little I've seen of Eurospurt, Kelly is very good (once you learn to decipher whatever he is saying, though.Takes about two weeks I think)

Top Bottom