Evans vs LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
The problem with paying £50 to try a bike is that you could have three bikes in mind, you might need to reorder a different size and it all adds up. throwing £50 to a bike shop which advertise a bike for sale for them to do their job is ridiculous and beyond a joke, if they advertise a bike for sale or a range linked to their store then they have to without cost to the consumer order said bike pre-sale.

I do not think they offered the bike for sale in this instance, he inquired about them getting one in for him.

As a business I have been stuck with as stock before, so I understand the shops problems.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I had the same problem with Genesis bikes around here. No one would get one in unless I bought it first. I could understand an admin fee perhaps but I think £50 is a little steep even if I do fully understand the shops predicament.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Maybe to stop all this hassle you need to travel further afield to test ride the bike that you are interested in.

I will be travelling to Amsterdam later this month to try a Nazca recumbent bike. I would like to have tried them closer to home but to make sure I choose correct bike I need to go where the bikes are.

bpsmith

Veteran
I am all for choosing a LBS over a Chain, but if the just can't get the bike to test then why should they get the sale?

Buying from the LBS, having used the Chain to test ride is just wrong in my mind. It's just the same as checking out components, trying clothing on or asking advice at your LBS and then buying online to save money. Totally equal in my mind.

OP
OP
C

Cope

I am all for choosing a LBS over a Chain, but if the just can't get the bike to test then why should they get the sale?

Buying from the LBS, having used the Chain to test ride is just wrong in my mind. It's just the same as checking out components, trying clothing on or asking advice at your LBS and then buying online to save money. Totally equal in my mind.

Yes - that's how it feels to me too. But I also have some sympathy with the shop. However, I used to work in retail - in high end hifi, specifically. I'd sometimes get a prospective customer asking if I could get a particular piece of equipment. A piece within a range we carried, but just a bit unusual, or maybe near the top of the range, s not something we'd have in stock. In that case I'd get onto the manufacturer and ask for a demo unit, and arrange something. 9/10 times it could be arranged, and often led to sales. I expected something similar, but perhaps with bicycles it's riskier? Listening to an amplifier in the shop or even taking it home isn't likely to damage it. I suppose weather, or pedestrians or cars, or just a mistake could cause a lot of damage to the bike.

OP
OP
C

Cope

I had the same problem with Genesis bikes around here. No one would get one in unless I bought it first. I could understand an admin fee perhaps but I think £50 is a little steep even if I do fully understand the shops predicament.

Looks like you're in the same part of the world as me, so you likely know the shops I'm talking about.

Cyclist33

there must be some business owners on here and this will likely hack them off, but for my money its a consumer led market or should be, businesses dont exist without customers, and i dont see the slightest reason why a consumer shouldnt arrange the best for themselves, whether that means spreading their window shopping net far and wide or not.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Worth double checking the conditions before you proceed.

According to the Evans website, there is a nominal 1p card identity check deposit for a test ride, presumably of a bike in stock.

I wonder if the £50 for a non-stock bike is only 'refundable' against a bike purchase.

Some local shops operate like that, you pay £50, get to test a few bikes then they deduct the £50 from the one you buy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/test-rides
The £50 is just to make sure you are committed to actually test riding it. It probably covers the cost of transporting it to the store in case you don't turn up.
The 1p card check is to have your details on the system so if you ride away with it on the test ride, they will charge you the full price.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes - that's how it feels to me too. But I also have some sympathy with the shop. However, I used to work in retail - in high end hifi, specifically. I'd sometimes get a prospective customer asking if I could get a particular piece of equipment. A piece within a range we carried, but just a bit unusual, or maybe near the top of the range, s not something we'd have in stock. In that case I'd get onto the manufacturer and ask for a demo unit, and arrange something. 9/10 times it could be arranged, and often led to sales. I expected something similar, but perhaps with bicycles it's riskier? Listening to an amplifier in the shop or even taking it home isn't likely to damage it. I suppose weather, or pedestrians or cars, or just a mistake could cause a lot of damage to the bike.
I would have thought the same too tbh. I have worked in retail in the past also. The shops have been honest with you and I am not knocking them for refusing to take the risk. I just don't see how it would be fair to ultimately buy from them after the Chain got the bike in for you. I am not saying that's your plan, but it has been suggested above.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
there must be some business owners on here and this will likely hack them off, but for my money its a consumer led market or should be, businesses dont exist without customers, and i dont see the slightest reason why a consumer shouldnt arrange the best for themselves, whether that means spreading their window shopping net far and wide or not.

Doesn't hack me off - you're 100% right.

A consumer has a set of needs and they have every right to obtain the service/product from whoever gives it to them at the right price and right level of service.

If a customer wants to buy a bike from an LBS but the LBS can't/won't provide the try before you buy with no commitment service that that customer wants then there is no deal to be done.

SpokeyDokey

The problem with paying £50 to try a bike is that you could have three bikes in mind, you might need to reorder a different size and it all adds up. throwing £50 to a bike shop which advertise a bike for sale for them to do their job is ridiculous and beyond a joke, if they advertise a bike for sale or a range linked to their store then they have to without cost to the consumer order said bike pre-sale.

That would be my view - you either stock (as in instore or be able to obtain) the bike or you don't. Don't tell me you do and then load me up with a pile of restrictions when I want to progress a potential deal.

screenman

Legendary Member

If I let my customers run my business it would not last very long. I am happy for people to shop around, but do not expect me to run my business the same as others do.

SpokeyDokey

If I let my customers run my business it would not last very long. I am happy for people to shop around, but do not expect me to run my business the same as others do.

I don't think that is what was said.

I think the gist was that all businesses are based on fulfilling customer's needs, ergo they are customer lead. If customer's needs change then unless the business adapts it dies and another business fills the gap.

Top Bottom