Evans vs LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't think that is what was said.

I think the gist was that all businesses are based on fulfilling customer's needs, ergo they are customer lead. If customer's needs change then unless the business adapts it dies and another business fills the gap.

There are different types of customers, also how many non wanted bikes can a small shop finance.

I will not defend poor service, no excuse for it, but a business has to know how far it can afford to go.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
There are different types of customers, agreed also how many non wanted bikes can a small shop finance.none/not many

I will not defend poor service, no excuse for it, but a business has to know how far it can afford to go. agreed

But a business is still customer lead.

It either fulfills a customer need with a product or service or it doesn't exist.

screenman

Legendary Member
So basically sell them something they don't want, but that you have.

No, because that does not make a happy customer. Most customers buying bikes, and of course the most customers is where most of your income is coming from have very little idea what they want.

Think how many people there are on this forum, then think how many people own bikes, something like that.

OP
OP
C

Cope

The idea is to lead the customer to what you have to offer.

As an experienced retailer, I entirely agree. If they can understand what the customer is trying to achieve, a good retailer will be open and steer the customer towards what they can supply, demo and support. Indeed this is how I came to know about the Longitude -- I mentioned the Salsa Fargo 3, and the chap in the shop showed me the Longitude in the Genesis catalogue. So I went away and looked at it some more, compared the specs, read around the forums etc, and made a call back to the shop to ask if I could take a closer look.

So: the LBS did exactly the right thing, at first... they pointed me to something they did know about, and had supplied before. Where it broke down, IMO, is that I wanted to have a look at one in the flesh, and take it for a ride, and failed to achieve that in any LBS. This led me to Evans, despite the original lead coming from the suggestion at the LBS.

So a likely outcome would be that I go to Evans, check it out, like it, buy it. And the LBS loses out. Which makes me sad.

The more substantive point raised last night is: what would I actually get out of the demo ride? If the answer is actually: very little... then that would suggest I should just buy the bloody thing from the original LBS in the first place. But that goes against the grain - I'm not super keen on spending £1000 on something I've never seen.

jay clock

Massive member
What hacks me off (not just cycling) is shops who say "we can get it in for you". Yes but most likely at a higher price than cheap online, and I have to go back to your shop to collect it, and oh yes, because it a special order it can't be returned either.

screenman

Legendary Member
What hacks me off (not just cycling) is shops who say "we can get it in for you". Yes but most likely at a higher price than cheap online, and I have to go back to your shop to collect it, and oh yes, because it a special order it can't be returned either.

Do you understand why that may happen?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As an experienced retailer, I entirely agree. If they can understand what the customer is trying to achieve, a good retailer will be open and steer the customer towards what they can supply, demo and support. Indeed this is how I came to know about the Longitude -- I mentioned the Salsa Fargo 3, and the chap in the shop showed me the Longitude in the Genesis catalogue. So I went away and looked at it some more, compared the specs, read around the forums etc, and made a call back to the shop to ask if I could take a closer look.

So: the LBS did exactly the right thing, at first... they pointed me to something they did know about, and had supplied before. Where it broke down, IMO, is that I wanted to have a look at one in the flesh, and take it for a ride, and failed to achieve that in any LBS. This led me to Evans, despite the original lead coming from the suggestion at the LBS.

So a likely outcome would be that I go to Evans, check it out, like it, buy it. And the LBS loses out. Which makes me sad.

The more substantive point raised last night is: what would I actually get out of the demo ride? If the answer is actually: very little... then that would suggest I should just buy the bloody thing from the original LBS in the first place. But that goes against the grain - I'm not super keen on spending £1000 on something I've never seen.

Interesting point really.

I'd guess for some people precisely nothing apart from a rough view on whether it fits or not (and even that could be dealt with on a static rig). And for a complete Newbie not even that as they will not have the experience to know whether the bike is right for them or not.

My guess is that many people have 'bought' the bike, before any test ride, based on online pic's, spec' lists and what other people say.

bpsmith

Veteran
No, because that does not make a happy customer. Most customers buying bikes, and of course the most customers is where most of your income is coming from have very little idea what they want.

Think how many people there are on this forum, then think how many people own bikes, something like that.
The OP wanted something that they couldn't get in to try. Your response was that they should sell him something that they do have instead. That's selling them something that they don't want.

This is not to be confused with people in general, who may not have made a decision on what they want. That's a very different scenario.

I have worked in retail too in the past and recognise the sale tactics of selling what you have in stock and stepping up to the next model wherever possible too.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spokey, bang on, they have been lead by the business. Now you and I may not let this happen, we are also the customers who costs the most to serve.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry bp I thought we were generalizing at that point.

If I cannot leave a customer happy then I do not want them as a customer, I will try and give them a direction in which to go in.

bpsmith

Veteran
Sorry bp I thought we were generalizing at that point.

If I cannot leave a customer happy then I do not want them as a customer, I will try and give them a direction in which to go in.
No need to apologise. :smile:

That is why I moved out of retail. I didn't want pressure from management to sell stuff that wasn't ideally suited to the customer, but that we had there to take away on the day!

You are clearly likeminded in that respect, hence your reply.

gbb

Legendary Member
Am I missing something, or reading this too simplistically..
You want a specific bike, you go to three shops.
Two shops can't help you, one shop can, but won't get a bike in to try.
For whatever their reasons, which may be possible financial loss, or perhaps they're not very customer focused...Online retailers are now seen as the only way forward and LBSs are useless (judging by some comments here)
The simple reality is...go to a proper dealer for that specific bike.
But dont knock LBS in general. In many other ways, they have so much to offer.
Why be so down on them because in this one case they couldnt fullfill your needs.

Itd be like me going to a Fiat dealership and expecting them to get me a Ford...and then moaning because they can't. (nothing personal, just an alternative point of view :thumbsup:)

Top Bottom