EvansCycles bad experience (resolved [to customer satisfaction])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They may have resolved it now, which is good, but they were not so keen until it got flagged up on here. I order lots online and accept that mistakes happen, but I've never had trouble like the OP. Evans' initial responses were just not good enough imho. Just sayin'.

OP
OP
E

ewssonaht

Hi Guys,

The matter is now resolved.

Evans offered me a refund of 45 British pounds. After checking with my bank's exchange rates I told Evans that I would be OK with 40 pounds as that amount would cover all my losses with them and my goal was not to exploit this situation and make any profit.

They also offered me a new bike with a discount (do not know how much the discount would be if I chose to do so as I did not proceed with that option). My choice to not proceed with Evans again, is mainly due to the fact that I have already ordered the same bike from a Swedish supplier and I honor my agreements as that store is importing the bike just for me directly from Genesis (I have not yet paid them so i could easily bail). Again my goal was not to gain money or get a discount, but have a bike to the state that I paid for.

I am still not convinced that this is damage that was from Transit, and frankly I was happier with them this morning after I got a call for the refund. Now that I read MIchele's reply that it was during Transit I do not know... But most of you here know enough about bikes to judge for yourselves.

Mistakes can be made from any company and no matter how safe a business process is or how trained your personnel is. The way you handle your mistakes though and unhappy customers, is something you need to look into. It can't be by chance that Evans has such a low score on trustpilot.co.uk while other stores have high ones.

Since I like to be fair, I do not know if that matters at all to you, but Sara was the most helpful of all the agents I spoke to.

Thank you all for the support and the hospitality on this forum.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi ewssonhat.

As I said previous. Large retailers cannot always get things right and you are more likey to hear about the bad things rather then the many good things.

But it's good to hear that they have resolved the matter to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
E

ewssonaht

@ianrauk I am referring to chainreaction and wiggle that I have also used in the past, you can check the rates yourself.
And yes, I know that people are more prone to write bad reviews when they have problems (as i did myself) but at the same time that goes for every store.

As i said before I was more mind blown by some of the responses like one of the agents i spoke to looking at the pictures and telling me "What makes you think this was an ex-demo bike" than anything else.

I have stated my side of the story here, it is of course biased from my point of view but I would expect more immediate and better options presented to me given the situation. There was no offer to ship a replacement immediately for instance, rather i had to wait for the old one to get back, processed checked and then start the new order. Although this is the "normal" way and the legal one, I think when you have clearly made a mistake, you need as a store to go a bit out of your way and make the customer happy. That is at least my idea... As i stated I would be happier with a new replacement bike delivered to me within 2 days than I would with a 30% discount on the one i got. I could unfortunately not afford paying 2 bikes in one month which would "resolve" my problem (by me taking the risk and cost). There was also the problem that the bike was not in stock any more.

It is more like the glare of adverse online publicity that did it - resolved the situation. Read OP's story and his many attempts to resolve it and how he felt the way they treated him. A series of interactions that did not resolve it and thus his post here.

Even when it was posted here, the first attempt was quite feeble. OP was upset enough to counter the packaging claim by posting photo of marks on the seat post. When others questioned the attempt, the offer to cover cost and the discount on a new bike.

A good company would have grabbed the first opportunity to remedy a mistake. Frankly I would have given up after the second call and the pillar to post act. I would have put it down to bad luck, good lesson and cut my losses to only financial and no further.

Why? Evan's has resolved the situation.
Mistakes can and do happen in any business.

Hiya - hard to say from me if this was damaged in transit (as I said we've invested in precautions now to prevent this) - or if this should have been on the soiled/ex demo section of our site - I think this is best answered by the person who contacted you this morning/over the weekend as it sounds like they're now on the case.
Either way - it is an unacceptable way to receive a bike- we're sorry it came to you like this - and we are working on it.

I wouldn't GIVE A TOSS! The fact of the matter is that if I paid for a new bike and got a shoddy used one I would be absolutely tampin. The circumstances that resulted in such an error are irrelevant. What IS relevant is your companies reluctance to resolve the problem in a timely manner and at minimal cost to the customer. I for one, have been completely put off ever being a customer of your farcical company. Lets hope other people viewing this thread now have the foresight to steer clear of this shambles.

OP
OP
E

ewssonaht

Hi again guys,
Please let's not turn this thread into a flame with Evans, as this was not my intention.
For those of us that work similar jobs like Michele does, we know well that customer care reflects management. I have no problem with the agents that I spoke with as I think they cannot do much more (100 quid off and try to convince the customer that that was a new bike etc). For me this was a first, I have never experienced (and i buy A LOT online) such a poor case solving not even from Ebay stores located in Asia where i expect worst customer care.

Most of the people have enough understanding and knowledge to judge the state of the bike and whether this is damage from transit or not, so I think everybody can reach their own conclusions from the pictures I have provided.

I would have never accepted a financial loss from such a transaction, not in 1 million years, and if I did, I would have made it my mission to make use of internet to tell about it to everybody that might get in the same position at some point. I did not return the bike cause I did not like the color or the size or whatever (in which case I would happily pay the post both ways and the currency exchange) so I do not understand why anyone would expect me to take even 1 pound of loss now. I am now after all this fuss where i started financially and with no bike after 1 whole month since I placed the initial order.

Most of the companies would probably have issued a voucher for the next purchase (10% off or something) just to make the customer happy**. I would not have used it (most probably) as I have decided I will not buy from Evans ever again, but I would have appreciated the gesture. It is the easiest and cheapest way to show some good will. Take that as my suggestion for improvements Michele.

PS. I would really like to know where the bike will end, if it will be sent to another customer as new or if it will go to the soiled bikes section. If the latter is the case, I would like to know why I was not offered that option to begin with and you had to take all these costs and I had to stay without a bike for 1 month. If the first is the case I have no comments.

** I have only complained twice online (third being Evans) and both issued a voucher for the next purchase also after they resolved the issue.

Shaun

Founder
I don't see that there is any need to bash Evans as a company or Michelle or her colleagues.

Mistakes happen in every company; this one looks to have been a big one and I'm sure Evans will look into the matter internally to try and ensure this doesn't happen again, and to (hopefully) review how they handle such issues in future to improve customer care.

It has been a disappointing and frustrating experience for ewssonaht who has paid in good faith and been let down badly by Evans on receipt of his so-called 'new' bike; however the matter is now resolved and he has been compensated.

I'm sure Michelle appreciates the feedback and will hopefully do something positive with it, albeit too late in ewssonaht's case - but this one experience shouldn't put other people off the company and each customer should judge Evans on the service they receive.

Feedback is acceptable - 'bashing' isn't. Any more bashing and the thread will be closed.

OP
OP
E

ewssonaht

@Shaun
I hope you are not referring to me as, I think I have not been bashing Evans despite my bad experience with them.

Shaun

Founder
I'm closing the thread and leaving it here for reference should anyone wish to read it.

@ewssonaht if you want to add anything further, just PM me and I'll open the thread for you, but I think you've covered everything as far as I can see. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the new bike and if you like it here, feel free to stick around and chat. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom