Ever amazed by your own stupidity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Or when you forget to 'prick it', then go to do it, boom, all over.

1625668399811.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a spud explode in a conventional oven, it was only a small one, I couldn't believe the mess it made.
I nuked a spud for about 40 minutes in my powerful microwave oven when I first bought it. The spud came out looking more like a piece of volcanic rock! :laugh:

Somebody I know made the mistake of trying to cook eggs in their shells. They were almost maimed by egg napalm when they opened the oven door! :eek:

I burnt out a microwave once. Tipped some microwave rice in a bowl and then got distracted. Instead of adding water/milk in I turned the microwave on and walked away for 10mins. Burnt bowl, burnt rice, burnt out microwave from the fire inside.

The other day I discovered that if you start by pressing the down button instead of the up button, it immediately goes to 89 point something.
Ten years we've had it.
well, at least you didn't try to bake chocolate chip cookies with it! I tried that in '84, at work once & the dough just turned to a black, molten, volcano of smoke. the older women in the office, laughed at the stupid 23 yr old male. once again

I once got my tie caught in the office shredder. My neck was being pulled towards the machine. I know I wouldn't have gone through but it could have broken my neck. Fortunately my yells were heard and someone hit the emergency stop - that was beyond my reach.
My tie was hung up over the machine as a warning.
I thought they had thought of such stupidity and that they automatically stopped if serious resistance was felt.

I thought they had thought of such stupidity and that they automatically stopped if serious resistance was felt.
Well this one didn't, but we are talking about 1996 so regulations must have been different. As I said there was no panic button anywhere in reach.
I "think" I was just about holding myself away from the cutters, but it was a close thing.

My mother's microwave is a Medion I think and totally non intuitive to use and I don't think she ever uses the grill or oven features. The bottom plate is metal too which I couldn't get my head around as most microwave plates are glass or ceramic.

I used to work in a place where the work's canteen microwave was even worse. There was a chart on the front that took some effort to work out. Select A for timer mode, select B for power if needed, input time press start now or delay start in which case set timer for delay etc or you could just press the start putton repeatedly and each press would add 30 seconds so that is all you ever did even if you were cooking for 15 minutes you would just press that button 30 times. I think it would only cook for half the time too automatically because it expected you to stir the contents or something and then continue cooking so you'd set it for double the time so you didn't have to bother with that which meant double the number of presses. Really annoying microwave plus of course you were all fighting to use it so it was doubly annoying when people were scratching their heads trying to work out how to operate it.

I have a Sharp microwave and do understand it and had a Panasonic before it and that was fine too.

D

Deleted member 1258

My mother's microwave is a Medion I think and totally non intuitive to use and I don't think she ever uses the grill or oven features. The bottom plate is metal too which I couldn't get my head around as most microwave plates are glass or ceramic.

I used to work in a place where the work's canteen microwave was even worse. There was a chart on the front that took some effort to work out. Select A for timer mode, select B for power if needed, input time press start now or delay start in which case set timer for delay etc or you could just press the start putton repeatedly and each press would add 30 seconds so that is all you ever did even if you were cooking for 15 minutes you would just press that button 30 times. I think it would only cook for half the time too automatically because it expected you to stir the contents or something and then continue cooking so you'd set it for double the time so you didn't have to bother with that which meant double the number of presses. Really annoying microwave plus of course you were all fighting to use it so it was doubly annoying when people were scratching their heads trying to work out how to operate it.

I have a Sharp microwave and do understand it and had a Panasonic before it and that was fine too.

I've never used a microwave, and reading some of these stories I'm not sure I want to.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We had a worm conveyor for the residue from the mash tun. This was fed by a rotating "finger" which took about one second to go round. This sometimes got clogged up and had to be cleared by using a bit of stick which was kept handy. The stick was in case it got stuck and would break without causing any damage to the mechanism. Instructions were emphatic - NEVER use your fingers to clear any blockage. We ended up with 2 employees minus the tips of fingers who could not resist what they thought was the easy option.:angry:

Top Bottom