Ever amazed by your own stupidity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think we can eliminate the ones advertising Vegan Beer??

probably
I was an accountant for a whisky company before I became a teacher. Just curious - one of our distilleries had a copper worm tub to turn the vapor back to liquid, adding a unique flavor to the spirit. Just curious as I hadn’t heard the term for a long time.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Which distillery/brewery out of interest?
Littlemill Distillery, Bowling. Sadly overtaken by property developers and while a listed building "accidentally " caught fire at 02.30 one morning after it had been shut down for a while. This was some years after I left.
It was claimed to be the oldest legal distillery in Scotland. The owners house [at that time the manager's house] I lived in had the date 1772 carved into the lintel above the front door. It was certainly very old and had some interesting bits including a ghost. We also had some very innovative machinery and control systems of our own design and manufacture.
It closed because the principle shareholder and managing director in the company died and the result was a mix of speculators and a series of changes of ownership.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was an accountant for a whisky company before I became a teacher. Just curious - one of our distilleries had a copper worm tub to turn the vapor back to liquid, adding a unique flavor to the spirit. Just curious as I hadn’t heard the term for a long time.
Was that Bladnoch?

I was slicing up plastc water bottles to make more room in the recycling bin. The stanley knife I was using was a bit worn. At some point the blade slipped but instead of travelling straight into a safe direction it got deflected into my wrist and pieced the skin right by my vein. The tip was too blunt to slice through but it gave me a heck of a shock.
I awarded myself a silver Darwin medal.

I was slicing up plastc water bottles to make more room in the recycling bin. The stanley knife I was using was a bit worn. At some point the blade slipped but instead of travelling straight into a safe direction it got deflected into my wrist and pieced the skin right by my vein. The tip was too blunt to slice through but it gave me a heck of a shock.
I awarded myself a silver Darwin medal.
Dunno about in your place but in ours the recycling centre uses a camera connected to a computer to filter the recycling
If it doesn;t look like a bottle to the camera it gets diverted and sent to landfill

so cutting it up would result in it being rejected

I've never used a microwave, and reading some of these stories I'm not sure I want to.

If you do get one my advice would be get a Japanese designed model they are more intuitive rather than a generic Chinese designed model which don't seem to care how user friendly the control panel is.

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Was fixing a clogged sink once, removed the waste trap, got the blockage out and then decided it was a good idea to flush it out with some water from the tap.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I was cooking dinner one evening for us and some friends. I was inside, so in bare feet as usual.

I poured the gravy in to what I thought was a Pyrex jug, but it wasn't Pyrex. The bottom fell out of the shattered jug, the boiling gravy splashed on the floor and I stepped on the bottom of the jug. 9 stitches across the bottom of my foot and two courses of antibiotics and no gravy for dinner.
It was like a Quintan Tarrantion film in the kitchen!

Seevio

Guru
I once used a mandolin to slice an onion without the little device to hold what one's slicing. My wife was a little sympathetic.............

the time I used the mandolin to slice a cabbage without the little device she asked "Are you feckin' stupid or what."

I'm no longer amazed by my own stupidity........:laugh:
I wondered how you chop anything with a mandolin (Maybe a ukelele would be better?) but after looking it up, I have discovered that mandolins and mandolines are very different things.

mikeIow

Guru
Some years ago….maybe 20….
Wife had gone out for an hour or som me home with the toddlers, aged about 5 & 3….
I had to cut open a package. Using small lock-knife (really just to get a tight zip-tie type thing cut)
Got distracted by the smaller one…managed to stab the fleshy bit between thumb and forefinger.
It bled furiously:sad:
Older one was a bit distressed by the blood….younger one toddled off next door for help!
They were out, but a pal round the corner took me to A&E (3 stitches needed:blink:) whilst his wife looked after the toddlers.

Wife returned, somewhat confused by how I managed that in such a short space of time :scratch:
I tell her it’s a special skill :wacko:

Top Bottom