Ever amazed by your own stupidity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I am the man that discovered that if one lays the toaster on its side it is possible to then make cheese on toast.

Of course, after some months of such abuse the toaster caught fire and by the time Mrs D had returned home the kitchen looked like Dresden after Bomber Command had flown past and I was duly rumbled.

I was doing some DIY. Pulled the Henry vacume cleaner tube. This dislodged a plank of wood which fell down and nudged a glazed door that was leaning against the wall. The door toppled over onto lots of bits of harmless soft debris but a glass pane struck first on the Henry and shattered.
Still managed to ebay the door.

We need more elaborate chains of mishappenings...

tyred

Legendary Member
I agreed to investigate a non-functioning fuel gauge in an Ford 7600 tractor. I had worked on many of it's smaller brethren before but not on the big one.

The smaller Ford tractors have one diesel tank that actually forms part of the dashboard and the fuel gauge sender unit is on the top of it. I was going to remove it but there was just a blanking plate where it should be. Hmmmm.

It then dawned on me that this larger turbocharged 100HP version had increased fuel capacity with another tank added underneath the cab and a 1" pipe linking the two together so the fuel pickup was on the lower tank and the top tank drained into it. I looked and the fuel gauge sender unit was also located on the lower tank so I undid the four flat headed screws which held it place.

I hadn't thought this through. The tractor was full to the top with diesel so when I broke the seal on the gasket I was left with a fountain of diesel spraying everywhere as the pressure of about fifteen gallons of diesel in the upper tank forced it out of the hole in the lower tank and by the time I had got the sender unit back into place and tightened the screws I was sitting in a pool of diesel and completely soaked in diesel. :banghead:xx(:cursing:

I am the man that discovered that if one lays the toaster on its side it is possible to then make cheese on toast.Of course, after some months of such abuse the toaster caught fire and by the time Mrs D had returned home the kitchen looked like Dresden after Bomber Command had flown past and I was duly rumbled.
at 1st I was going to call you brilliant! the inventor of the toaster oven perhaps!

I was doing some DIY. Pulled the Henry vacume cleaner tube. This dislodged a plank of wood which fell down and nudged a glazed door that was leaning against the wall. The door toppled over onto lots of bits of harmless soft debris but a glass pane struck first on the Henry and shattered.
Still managed to ebay the door.We need more elaborate chains of mishappenings...
sounds like the board game of "mouse trap"!

speaking of dumb plumbing. once, in frustration, I tossed a glass plate into the kitchen sink. it shattered in the sink but also sprayed glass around the kitchen. swept & mopped the floor, threw out all the cat food & cleaned up that whole area, gathered the glass from the sink w/ paper towel & sponge. but there was glass in the sink disposal. ran the water & flipped the switch. it took about 1/2 sec for it to jam. spent some time with the allen wrench under neath & running water & sticking my hand down in there to get more out. no luck, had to remove the disposal unit altogether, bring it outside to a remote area, turn it upside down, work the allen wrench & a garden hose until it was clear of glass & moved freely. this all took easily over an hour, maybe more. got it all back together like nothing ever happened. Wifey comes home from work & asks wutz for dinner? & why haven't I emptied the dish washer? ... if I just hadn't thrown that glass plate! argh! you idiot!

DRHysted

Guru
To be honest I’m never amazed by my stupidity, it’s just there.

GetFatty

Über Member
I am the man that discovered that if one lays the toaster on its side it is possible to then make cheese on toast.

Of course, after some months of such abuse the toaster caught fire and by the time Mrs D had returned home the kitchen looked like Dresden after Bomber Command had flown past and I was duly rumbled.
I'm the man who discovered that sticking a fork into a toaster causes a very strange sensation and your arm goes numb for a while :smile:

bruce1530

Guru
Did you know USB cables? Those silly damned things with plugs that you have flipped over and over again to try and get them the right way around to fit... well, only a few days ago I noticed they were marked as to which is the top. For how many years have I battled with them?
There are 3 ways to insert a USB cable. 2 are wrong.
You try to insert it, it doesn't fit. That's the first wrong way.
You flip it over, and it still doesnt fit. That's the second.
You flip it over again, and it fits....

Top Bottom