Ever been told that you can't do something???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had been planning to do a 79 mile challenge (I know it's a odd mileage but it was set at that...so hey) with a few friends today but one by one they had dropped out...with the last one telling me yesterday that wouldn't be able to make it!!! Last night told the wife that I was going to still do it. By this morning (it was cold and raining) I told the wife that I was going to leave it and just go out for a quick spin instead...btw I've only ridden 26 miles solo before today and 50 in a group about 2 years ago.
"I knew you wouldn't do it, even my mum said so," the wife replied.
6hrs 22mins later I got home with 82 miles under my belt...
Anyone ever been told they couldn't do something so they did it just to be stubborn???

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Frequently :biggrin:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Only with myself. I tend to say to myself 'you can't do 30 miles in one go' then go an prove myself wrong. Did my first century last week.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have been told that I couldnt get to Manchester from Prestatyn on a MTB about 3 years ago. They were right.

I now have a racer though and getting a lighter one in the new year so I am going to try it again in the summer.

To this date the longest ride I have done is 80 miles with the club and 60 miles on my own. Getting the lighter bike and a Garmin will encourage me to do more miles and pick up the pace a bit more (I normally go around at about 17mph).

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Yes but that makes it more worthwhile.

I'm riding the London 100 next year for Beating Bowelcancer. Started training 7 weeks ago. At that point I weighed 22st 12lbs.

In 7 weeks I've ridden nearly 600 miles. My longest ride is 40 miles. This week I have ridden nearly 90 miles and I rode 34 miles in 2 hrs 28 minutes this morning. Planning another 30 tomorrow.

My weight is now below 21st.

If I can meet a challenge, anyone can. Never felt fitter and loving every minute.

I also treated myself to a Specialized Roubaix which is a superb bike. :smile:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Yes but that makes it more worthwhile.

I'm riding the London 100 next year for Beating Bowelcancer. Started training 7 weeks ago. At that point I weighed 22st 12lbs.

In 7 weeks I've ridden nearly 600 miles. My longest ride is 40 miles. This week I have ridden nearly 90 miles and I rode 34 miles in 2 hrs 28 minutes this morning. Planning another 30 tomorrow.

My weight is now below 21st.

If I can meet a challenge, anyone can. Never felt fitter and loving every minute.

I also treated myself to a Specialized Roubaix which is a superb bike. :smile:
Awesome...keep it up mate and enjoy the bike!!!

Cyclist33

I have been told that I couldnt get to Manchester from Prestatyn on a MTB about 3 years ago. They were right.

I now have a racer though and getting a lighter one in the new year so I am going to try it again in the summer.

To this date the longest ride I have done is 80 miles with the club and 60 miles on my own. Getting the lighter bike and a Garmin will encourage me to do more miles and pick up the pace a bit more (I normally go around at about 17mph).

Should be doable. It's 90 miles from Warrington to Prestatyn and I'm guessing about 25 Manchester to Warrington and those are flat. Warrington to Chester is pretty flat and I don't know about the rest! I was going to try it on Olympic Road Race day, but did a century to Liverpool instead :becool:

"I knew you wouldn't do it, even my mum said so," the wife replied.
That just makes me sad. I'm sorry you are not getting the support and respect from the person who should most want you to have it. Good on you for proving her wrong, but it would have been nice if doing it had proved her right.

(my partner asked me not to cycle to Paris on my own, because he worried what sort of trouble I could get into on my own not because he thought I couldn't do it. I didn't do it because life got in the way in a big way: he didn't gloat)

400bhp

Guru
I think it's probably a common trait of a cyclist.

I think people know better than to say "you can't do that on a bicycle" to me.:whistle:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Should be doable. It's 90 miles from Warrington to Prestatyn and I'm guessing about 25 Manchester to Warrington and those are flat. Warrington to Chester is pretty flat and I don't know about the rest! I was going to try it on Olympic Road Race day, but did a century to Liverpool instead :becool:
Well my relatives live in Stretford so that is where I would be going.
I think one of us has got their distances wrong. The route I planned on Bikely said 70 miles from Prestatyn to Stretford.

Cyclist33

I think it's probably a common trait of a cyclist.

I think people know better than to say "you can't do that on a bicycle" to me.:whistle:
That just makes me sad. I'm sorry you are not getting the support and respect from the person who should most want you to have it. Good on you for proving her wrong, but it would have been nice if doing it had proved her right.

(my partner asked me not to cycle to Paris on my own, because he worried what sort of trouble I could get into on my own not because he thought I couldn't do it. I didn't do it because life got in the way in a big way: he didn't gloat)

i agree. it should be in the wedding vows, "to support your cycling"

Top Bottom