Ever been told that you can't do something???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Well my relatives live in Stretford so that is where I would be going.
I think one of us has got their distances wrong. The route I planned on Bikely said 70 miles from Prestatyn to Stretford.

Matthew - I live a few miles south of stretford, if you ever want someone to ride to or from stretford give me a shout. Could get a train to Prestatyn and ride back. Wind usually favourable from that end.

400bhp

Guru
That just makes me sad. I'm sorry you are not getting the support and respect from the person who should most want you to have it. Good on you for proving her wrong, but it would have been nice if doing it had proved her right.

(my partner asked me not to cycle to Paris on my own, because he worried what sort of trouble I could get into on my own not because he thought I couldn't do it. I didn't do it because life got in the way in a big way: he didn't gloat)

Depends upon your relationship with your wife to be honest. Can be constued as banter. Plenty of that in our household.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I love to be told 'oh you'll never be able to do that' as I am a bloody minded cow and love to prove people wrong. The more I am told that I lack the capability for something, the more determined I am to do it. As long as it doesn't involve heights and moutaineering that is.

RussLunn, well done on the ride. Such a shame that Mrs RL was not very supportive. I think with any sort of sport a supportive OH is important :thumbsup: I hope that you cycling 82 miles changed her mind a bit and that she is now infinitely proud of you.

Herbie

Veteran
Had been planning to do a 79 mile challenge (I know it's a odd mileage but it was set at that...so hey) with a few friends today but one by one they had dropped out...with the last one telling me yesterday that wouldn't be able to make it!!! Last night told the wife that I was going to still do it. By this morning (it was cold and raining) I told the wife that I was going to leave it and just go out for a quick spin instead...btw I've only ridden 26 miles solo before today and 50 in a group about 2 years ago.
"I knew you wouldn't do it, even my mum said so," the wife replied.
6hrs 22mins later I got home with 82 miles under my belt...
Anyone ever been told they couldn't do something so they did it just to be stubborn???

All the time....sometimes i say it to people as a bit of reverse pschology..it often works

Herbie

Veteran
Had been planning to do a 79 mile challenge (I know it's a odd mileage but it was set at that...so hey) with a few friends today but one by one they had dropped out...with the last one telling me yesterday that wouldn't be able to make it!!! Last night told the wife that I was going to still do it. By this morning (it was cold and raining) I told the wife that I was going to leave it and just go out for a quick spin instead...btw I've only ridden 26 miles solo before today and 50 in a group about 2 years ago.
"I knew you wouldn't do it, even my mum said so," the wife replied.
6hrs 22mins later I got home with 82 miles under my belt...
Anyone ever been told they couldn't do something so they did it just to be stubborn???

Well done you....how are you feeling?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
That just makes me sad. I'm sorry you are not getting the support and respect from the person who should most want you to have it. Good on you for proving her wrong, but it would have been nice if doing it had proved her right.

(my partner asked me not to cycle to Paris on my own, because he worried what sort of trouble I could get into on my own not because he thought I couldn't do it. I didn't do it because life got in the way in a big way: he didn't gloat)
Hope you get to do the ride, would be awesome. Tbh would be a bit worried doing that ride on my own as well!!!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Well done you....how are you feeling?
Woke up and moved my arm gingerly...then legs...then got up feeling like I'd dreamed it!!! Not a pain or stiffness in sight...now really worried about tomorrow...will it catch me up???

Herbie

Veteran
Woke up and moved my arm gingerly...then legs...then got up feeling like I'd dreamed it!!! Not a pain or stiffness in sight...now really worried about tomorrow...will it catch me up???

Aye good chance of that but that aches and pains have been well earned :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
I was told I couldn't commute to work by bicycle by my colleagues. How wrong they were.
Thet were running a book on how long I'd turn up at work by bike. Longest they were giving at the start was a month. Three & 1/2 years later I was still there. Told that distance to new site was too far for anyone to cycle, so I set out on my day off to do it. 1hour & 32 minutes was all it took for a one way trip.

Top Bottom