Every new cyclist has to learn but !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At least learn the basics.
On my ride today.....through semi rural areas..... I came across 2 lady cyclists. Stood at the entrance to a farm......looking perplexed and one of them on the phone.
I did my good deed for the day and pulled in to see if they needed help
Situation was....
2 new looking btwin mountain type bikes.
Front tyre has hardly any air in.
Their pump looked to be THE cheapest Decathlon type.
Lady 1 said....."we dont know how to pump the tyre up"
So I did my manly best and got some decent pressure in (that was hard work)..... AND THEN SHE ASKED "should tyres lose air"?
I explained the basics then asked "when did you last check the pressure".
Answer was...... "never. We bought them 7 months ago and only used them once".
Very pleasant ladies and possibly no one to advise them.......I didnt think to mention it but a half day/or evening basic course would help.
Anyway..... I now feel slightly smug cos I helped 2 damsels in distress :smile:

I'd have been even more smug!

Wolf+Creek?format=750w.png

altho the damsels would be in drastically more distress

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I was pounding along on the road bike, slightly uphill, not really concentrating, I spotted a pot hole, so I moved left to avoid it unfortunately that put me on course for another much larger pot hole, to large to avoid other than going off road, and definitely deep enough to damage the rim, there are quite some deep ones around here, luckily no one saw it so it never happened.

Hope it was only your pride that took a bashing and yes it's on camera somewhere

I think bike shops have a special responsibility (although sometimes a difficult job!) to educate new cyclists. I encountered a rider the other day who I hope I managed to save from being disillusioned with cycling almost from day one.

The bike shop had sent them out on the road with a very shiny new trike (balance issues I understand). Sitting in the sunshine it looked very handsome and ready to eat up the miles. Unfortunately standing there was all it was doing. ‘I can’t get the pedals to turn.’ -was the unfortunate new owner’s complaint. On inspection, I found that the rear derailleur was at an angle no derailleur should be at. Further detective work revealed that this was because the chain had jammed, having fallen off the front ring, which in turn was because some bright spark at the bike shop who had apparently built it up, had failed to tighten the bolts holding the chain-case on, causing it to act as an unwanted front derailleur! I bent the rear hanger straight again, and tightened up a number of fastenings. It was while doing this that I was overcome by a feeling that something else was not quite right - surely the integral reflectors on the rear mudguards were not intended to point skyward? I counselled the new owner to take his lovely new trike back to the shop at the earliest opportunity and demand it be overhauled by someone who actually knew which way up things were meant to go.

Shortly after that, on the same ride, I pointed out to a family that their young son’s shiny new BMX had the front forks installed back to front. ‘Halfords?’ I enquired. The father nodded. The mother looked pensive. ‘You know,’ she said, ‘He’s been complaining that his arms feel sore after riding it, and he seemed awfully twitchy with the steering.’ And that was the second case of ‘Halfords fork syndrome’ I had diagnosed this year.

Cycling starts at the bike shop. This is why we need good ones.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, we've seen and stopped a young woman riding a bike with the forks back to front. It's amazing how ignorant some people are.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did my good deed for the day and pulled in to see if they needed help
Situation was....

Did they attract your attention by lifting their petticoats and showing you their ankles!:shy:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I pointed out to a family that their young son’s shiny new BMX had the front forks installed back to front. ‘Halfords?’ I enquired. The father nodded. The mother looked pensive. ‘You know,’ she said, ‘He’s been complaining that his arms feel sore after riding it, and he seemed awfully twitchy with the steering.’ And that was the second case of ‘Halfords fork syndrome’ I had diagnosed this year.
As the club 'B' ride made its way back to base on the cycle path, we saw a young (?6) boy fall off dramatically and tearfully blamed older brother who'd been cycling alongside. Pulled up the bike and straightened things up. And then spotted that the fork had been installed back to front (ie with negative offset). Not surprised he fell off. Father (who had come back to them, on foot) said that's how it'd come in the box (source unclear). Recommended not to ride and seek LBS help to get the fork the correct way round. But how would 'normal' people know the fork is back to front?

Half an hour later we came across a guy with flashy racing bike and all the lycra. He was pushing his bike and holding a co2 cannister. His wife was coming to rescue him from 30km away. With a mimi pump and a tube he could have got himself home. Its not just beginners who need to learn.

He wasn't also riding without water by any chance to save weight and then begging it from folk?

You make a good point - clueless folk at either end of the cycling spectrum.

edit: not too MINI a pump I hope.

Top Bottom