Every new cyclist has to learn but !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
At least learn the basics.
On my ride today.....through semi rural areas..... I came across 2 lady cyclists. Stood at the entrance to a farm......looking perplexed and one of them on the phone.
I did my good deed for the day and pulled in to see if they needed help
Situation was....
2 new looking btwin mountain type bikes.
Front tyre has hardly any air in.
Their pump looked to be THE cheapest Decathlon type.
Lady 1 said....."we dont know how to pump the tyre up"
So I did my manly best and got some decent pressure in (that was hard work)..... AND THEN SHE ASKED "should tyres lose air"?
I explained the basics then asked "when did you last check the pressure".
Answer was...... "never. We bought them 7 months ago and only used them once".
Very pleasant ladies and possibly no one to advise them.......I didnt think to mention it but a half day/or evening basic course would help.
Anyway..... I now feel slightly smug cos I helped 2 damsels in distress :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It is silly season. Come down to the Bristol to Bath path and see the delights. Whole families of sun burned gammons just stopped on their bikes blocking the whole track bickering was my favourite on Saturday. Just like they do on the motorway. It’s lovely it is.

classic33

Leg End Member
On my ride today.....through semi rural areas..... I came across 2 lady cyclists. Stood at the entrance to a farm......looking perplexed and one of them on the phone.
Situation was....
So I did my manly best and got some decent pressure in (that was hard work)..... AND THEN SHE ASKED "should tyres lose air"?
Very pleasant ladies and possibly no one to advise them.......I didnt think to mention it but a half day/or evening basic course would help.
Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Situation was....
:bravo:

I had a chain come off today, and there were a few people stop and ask if I needed help, which is what I do, i wondered if that was common, there’s never usually anyone around when I ride in winter, so much less likely to meet someone needing assistance, but probably much more important to give assistance then,

On a completely different tangent, before someone says what has that got to do with the thread,
A confession, I actually left the road today and ended up in the scenery,

I was pounding along on the road bike, slightly uphill, not really concentrating, I spotted a pot hole, so I moved left to avoid it unfortunately that put me on course for another much larger pot hole, to large to avoid other than going off road, and definitely deep enough to damage the rim, there are quite some deep ones around here, luckily no one saw it so it never happened.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My impression is the majority of cyclists are like the ones in the OP in that they see a bike as something that requires no maintenance.

It is the ikes of us on here who check lots of stuff regularly who are in the minority.

At least those two lasses had a pump.

Edit: Should be 'likes' of us, I wouldn't want to call forum members 'ikes'.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannie were out riding on Saturday. She got a puncture in thd front tyre but had gone " ghetto tubeless" after getting advice on here a couple of weeks ago. We pumped the tyre up, using a pump, up to 70 psi and went on our way. It worked a treat. The sealant was a sucess.

Half an hour later we came across a guy with flashy racing bike and all the lycra. He was pushing his bike and holding a co2 cannister. His wife was coming to rescue him from 30km away. With a mimi pump and a tube he could have got himself home. Its not just beginners who need to learn.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think at this tome of the year, us regular riders will come across new cyclist, stranded wiithouttools or the knowledge to use them. and as a fellow cyclist its only right and proper to help them, one never knows when one will also need help.
Agree. I stopped earlier as a cyclist had pulled up and was looking in the bag for something. Turned out he was jus getting an energy tablet out.

Lonestar

Veteran
They were all out today on my cycle commute back on the CS 3 on boris bikes or anything with wheels...being extremely knackered I just wanted to get home while they just leisure rode...so be it I guess.

I don't see that many cyclists out and about unless I'm in town, but if I stop by the side of the road for a snackette or to blow my conk, it's rather surprising to see how many motorists will actually stop and ask if I need any help. Certainly one of the positives of living in a rural area.

Funny though, when I was a kid (and before mobile phones) I'd go out on my bike with a few 20p coins to stick in a phonebox if I came unstuck so's I could call the parentals.

Prefer to have the peace-of-mind of some tools and spares in my bar bag now.

Having said that, my old MTB never had anything done to it in terms of maintenance and it never let me down. Mind, the old thing is built like the proverbial... :blush:

Top Bottom