Everyone run for your lives!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
THIS could be worth a look Matthew. I don't know the details but it should help to reduce costs, although TBH £1500 doesn't sound bad at all in this day and age.
The cheapest quote I get always involves getting a black box. Something which I am very happy to do. Because if you drive like a muppet, the insurance will go up, but if you drive well, it goes down.
With my inexperience, I am not going to be blaring around the streets immediately because I know what I am and am not capable of.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
when you passed your test i bet it was like the scene in the harry enfield show where kevin turns 13.
except you went from knobly knee'd cyclist to moton! ;)
well done m8.
something i'm yet to undertake and i'm 33.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Right Matthew, congratulations again on your passing first time. You may find that the first time you drive on your own may feel strange as I wont be there to correct anything wrong but you will soon adjust to it and build up experience very quickly. :hello:
By the way. if you happen to see me on my bike and you in your car, give me space will you or I 'll go after you. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ride the bike. Don't bother with a car till you are a bit older, the insurance is a killer these days. My niece pays over £250 a month for an old Lupo. I don't think she has told her insurer about the lowering and alloys that are non factory, despite people telling her to do so.

I don't think she has told her insurer about the lowering and alloys that are non factory, despite people telling her to do so.

I know you know it fossy, but she might as well save the £250 a month as it's pointless to paying it really.

I've seen quite a few young 'uns, (usually lads though), coming swapping non-factory parts off their smashed up pride and joy before the assessor comes to see it!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know you know it fossy, but she might as well save the £250 a month as it's pointless to paying it really.

I've seen quite a few young 'uns, (usually lads though), coming swapping non-factory parts off their smashed up pride and joy before the assessor comes to see it!

Aye, I know doubt.

donnydave

Über Member
A cheap car isn't always an economic way to get started.
At that sort of price you will have to pay for repairs for every MOT and you will find it will break down more often, and probably not drive as well just when you need to not be thinking about its quirks

(LONG POST ALERT!!)

Disagree! I've been running £500 cars since I first started driving. Only one has died on me, and it was a slow predictable decline that I was prepared for and scrapped it for little financial loss.

The following isn't an affront on yourself night train, your post just triggered a few thoughts and I wanted to reply with my own view of the world. I know you said a cheap car isn't always an economic way to get started, and your right. But sometimes it is, for the following reasons based on my experience.

Matthew, you may already know most of the following but it makes sense in my head and I thought I would just do a massive brain dump in case its of value or interest to anyone

I spend time picking something good and reliable to begin with, do lots of research to find common faults so you know what to look for and what to check has been done eg anything over 70,000 miles should probably have had its cam belt done recently. If someone sensible has been in charge then they would most likely have fit a new water pump while they were at it. Pistonheads is a goldmine for this sort of stuff. Also if the car you are looking at has its own owners club/forum then these are brilliant too for finding out about potential niggles that may appear disastrous but are easily cured.

I always try and get something at least with a galvanised chassis. I've had many happy years service from a couple of stratospherically high mileage diesels and with regular maintenance (which you should be doing on any car of course) there are no expensive surprises come MOT time.

Remember that things like brakes, tyres, oil, spark plugs etc are not repairs. These are consumables that will cost you regardless of what car you have. Granted some cars will wear out certain components faster than others so this should be factored in when you do your maths. (my old Citroen Xantia loved to chomp through front brake discs, but they were only £35 a pair)

Our current steed is approaching its third year with us. Cost to buy £450. Servicing has included 4 new tyres. Be aware tyres on older cars are generally smaller/narrower so loads cheaper: £180 for the set. Of course when I say older cars everything I own has been in the early-late 90's bracket. 1990-1998ish.
New brake discs/pads/ rear calipers all in about £160. Annual oil/filter/spark plug/air filter change, any reasonable human being should be able to do this typical cost no more than £80 or so. It will be getting a new exhaust soon and as its pre 1994 there's no catalytic converter. Hurrah! Entire exhaust from manifold to silencer £300 fitted or £200 and fit yourself, its not that difficult. New cars have all manner of extra stuff just waiting to go wrong. God help you if you buy a newish diesel and it needs a DPF.

I normally can't stand people who say "Oh just swap the engine, its not that difficult" but I really honestly mean it normal service items like oil filters/spark plugs and brake pads/discs are really not hard at all. You have to weigh up the cost of your own time versus the cost of a garage doing it at £50 an hour. As a man you should be able to tackle these things, just get someone who's done it before to help you the first time and its easy peasy. I took great joy in learning how to do this stuff myself. If that's not your bag then fair enough but I find it very rewarding, just the same as properly cleaning a chain on the bike, or adjusting the gear indexing so its perfect. Its pretty much the same thing in my view, just applied to a rather larger lump of metal.

The only thing I have had to get a garage to do was change the rear calipers as they had seized and I didn't have the tools to dismantle it. Cost an hours labour (£50).

Excluding fuel the cost to run this car for 2 1/2 years (including the cost to buy it) is probably about £1200 with some other miscellaneous items. For that I've got a reliable car that I know inside out. I'm confident its been looked after properly (because either I've done it myself, or I've identified what needs doing and got a pro to do it) and I can predict within reason what will need doing in the next 6 months or so and I constantly compare that against the cost of another £500 car. I've also learned an immense amount about looking after my car which has made sourcing the next cheap car easier.

Economy isn't all that bad in older cars either really, driving style plays a large part. I got the same economy wafting along in my XJS than I did screaming around in my Fiesta. Do some actual maths on savings from buying a newer car with improved economy versus purchase price plus estimated cost to run. Factor in estimated mileage too so you can make an informed decision. Increased economy can be false economy! (See what I did there?!)

I love that people buy new cars because they think that old ones are unreliable, it means there's absolutely loads of cheap, good cars around for people who believe otherwise!

Bad points: Safety
Mitigation: Don't crash, wear a helmet.

screenman

Legendary Member
Your village called they want there idiot back.

Not quite sure what you mean by that remark, can you do maths? do you know how much and accidents costs? of course you have no idea at all.

All the same well done on passing, I can still remember chucking my L plates away 40 years ago and going out and buying a nice MK2 Jag, bit flash as I was only 17 and the insurance was £250 a year. Of course the average house price was £9,750.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Not quite sure what you mean by that remark, can you do maths? do you know how much and accidents costs? of course you have no idea at all.

All the same well done on passing, I can still remember chucking my L plates away 40 years ago and going out and buying a nice MK2 Jag, bit flash as I was only 17 and the insurance was £250 a year. Of course the average house price was £9,750.

its just your general bull shoot tbh its just boring. If you can justify to me why an insurance company would happily take £7200 off someone to insure them for a year then go ahead. The same car for me is £319 for the year and i have no no claims and have not held my own car insurance policy for over 8 years. Id respect them more if they just told him to go away and refused to insure him.

screenman

Legendary Member
its just your general bull s*** tbh its just boring. If you can justify to me why an insurance company would happily take £7200 off someone to insure them for a year then go ahead. The same car for me is £319 for the year and i have no no claims and have not held my own car insurance policy for over 8 years. Id respect them more if they just told him to go away and refused to insure him.

There are plenty of insurance companies who will not take the risk on young drivers, these same companies are the one's that offer lower premiums to older and more experienced drivers.

Why the cost, a young driver is more likely to have an accident and that said accident is likely to be bigger and more expensive.

Now if the young driver say hit a cyclist and injured them the average cost in 2009 would have been £48,430. Go figure.

I am of course not saying the prices are good or affordable for some, but it is the higher risk that pushes up the prices.

Top Bottom