Everyone run for your lives!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
1002149_491916860889720_1513884458_n.jpg

donnydave

Über Member
I thought you'd be taller

Night Train

Maker of Things
Oh, if you are not getting a car for a while will you be driving at all?
If not then it may well be a good idea to take a refresher before driving as a lot will be forgotten in the mean time.

I'll be honest it costs me nearly £400 quid to insure (and its nothing spectacular performance wise) and I'm err...well I passed in '87... next car brand new is half that so I think insurance would be a bit steep for you (but whilst I am getting rid the advert was tongue in cheek:smile: ) hope you get a nice motor whatever you buy:thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
...It used to be the case that learning to drive was something almost everyone did as soon as they could, because no one could really imagine being able to live without a car. These days lots of people in their teens and twenties can't drive, and don't seem to see the need for it. It's an interesting social change, and one that I kind of approve of.

A fair proportion of my children's friends, who are now in their late teens to mid 20's, passed their tests as soon as they could, but haven't driven since and have no intention of driving for the foreseeable future.

Which does raise the question of whether it's appropriate for a licence to be issued for life. The sensible ones will no doubt take refresher lessons if they do eventually start driving, but I bet there will be some who don't.

Congratulations Matthew:thumbsup:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've always thought that being able to drive isn't really a human right, and a retest every, say, 7 or 8 years would be a good idea. Ten years seems too long somehow.
I would happily have 3-5 year retests for all licence holders and annually for anyone who drives as part of their job.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done Matthew! :bravo:
I took lessons on and off from when I was 18, finally passed at 37, drove a dozen times, left it at that :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I took lessons on and off from when I was 18, finally passed at 37, drove a dozen times, left it at that :smile:
Sensible.

I always thought that people who have failed 30+ tests over 20+ years before finally passing perhaps shouldn't be driving at all. There are some things that some people are just not cut out to do well, or safely.

simon.r

Person
I've always thought that being able to drive isn't really a human right, and a retest every, say, 7 or 8 years would be a good idea. Ten years seems too long somehow.

I would happily have 3-5 year retests for all licence holders and annually for anyone who drives as part of their job.

I agree in principle. I think a regular re-testing scheme would be logistically possible and could be self-financing.

The obvious drawback would be more unlicensed (and therefore uninsured) divers on the road, with little chance of getting caught unless / until they do something really daft.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sensible.

I always thought that people who have failed 30+ tests over 20+ years before finally passing perhaps shouldn't be driving at all. There are some things that some people are just not cut out to do well, or safely.
Erm ... I only ever took 2 tests, about 10 years between them.
Agreed anyway: I feel I am a hazard on 4 wheels, that's why I don't drive ^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
In principle, yes, in reality I really have my doubts sadly.

If I was driving for a living I would be proud to say that I had passed my driving standards test every year since I started the job. Maybe we need that sort of attitude to driving to make it happen. Like when I was teaching and every year I was OFSEDed and got a grade 2, best grade we could get for workshop teaching. I was proud of that.

It really annoys me when I have spoken to people about regular retesting and they look horrified and claim that they would never pass it. If they couldn't pass then they shouldn't be driving. It is that simple really

Top Bottom