Examples of enduring good design?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Rigid Raider said:
I would drop my pants for Elton John if I could be given the opportunity to fly in the 2 seat version.

*shudder*

tyred

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Controversial, I know, but what about modern Formula One cars? The reason I say this is that there's absolutely nothing on them which is not designed to do the job of making them go faster, yet they're still beautiful. There must be some kind of natural law at work there somewhere.

I agree. What amazes me is the paint finish they put on them considering they're going to be driven round a dirty track at 200mph.

ALl the same, my favourite racing car from a styling point of view is the Bugatti Type 35. A thing of absolute beauty IMO.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
F1 cars are ugly. In the "less is more" stakes, they have everything, then absolutely nothing. There is a desperate urge to find more downforce, which results in all sorts of little winglets, deflectors and baffles. The end result is that an F1 car looks more like a granny's mantelpiece than a piece of sculpture.

However they do make a wonderful sound, that makes a Mozart symphony sound dull and lifeless....
:rolleyes:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Bob haircut on women (which I find quite sexy, depending on the face, of course)
Annex+-+Brooks,+Louise_40-doc+macro.jpg

The wedge:
short_hairstyle8_html_67b79b73.jpg

taken to extremes by Phil Oakey
philip_oakey_2.jpg

and Paul Weller:
98663202_3d5159101a.jpg

and the Flat-top (I had one throughout my 20s) here exemplified by Rockabilly Legend Mac Curtis:
2537757430103359677S500x500Q85.jpg

I love the picture of the Hoover building. I think it was the Littlewoods building on Edge Lane, Liverpool that was built in a similar manner with twin 'towers' at either side. I must say the Hoover building looked like an old airport building at my first glance before knowing where it was.

Looking at the hairstyles, remember the 'Purdy' cut in the 70s, made famous by Joanna Lumley? We all tried these things.

Don't know whether I dare download a picture of 'Beetle' because of the comments about car forums etc!

When I get a bit of time later I'm going to look through all the posts, as I'm sure there have been some great pictures loaded.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Haircuts again

Despite my flat-top in my 20s, I have always had a huge interest in Mod culture, and so I offer you the Marriot/Weller cut (which me and my bro' refer to as the 'bumhead') :rolleyes:

marriott.jpg

paul+weller_855_19116744_0_0_7737_300.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
[quote name='swee'pea99']The Spitfire is unquestionably gorgeous. If anyone asked me to name a more beautiful machine - of any kind - I'm pretty sure I'd be stumped.[/QUOTE]
The Spitfire is indeed a thing of beauty, but I reckon Concorde pips it to the post.

The amazing thing to me about Concorde is that she looked absolutely gorgeous from every single angle.

smooth.jpg

landing.jpg

landing-side.jpg

shape.jpg

Proto

Legendary Member
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Halle Berry yet. Hard (ho ho) to imagine this design being improved.

halle-berry.jpg

tyred said:
ALl the same, my favourite racing car from a styling point of view is the Bugatti Type 35. A thing of absolute beauty IMO.

You are, Sir, a man of impeccable taste:thumbsup:

1920s-bugatti-type-35b.jpg

I would also add the E Type Jag and the Capri (coz I've got one)

Proto

Legendary Member
tyred said:

This outfit is about one mile away from us (as the crow flies) and I've seen them roadtesting ancient Bugattis every now and again. They don't treat them gently either, thrashing along the B4011, flying helmet and goggles. Looks brilliant.

http://www.duttonbugatti.co.uk/

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Talking of the Hoover building and the like reminded me of when we were camping down in Dorset and decided to go for a wander along the cliffs, came round a corner and stumbled on this place:

14nl25c.jpg

An amazing art deco stunner, albeit a bit shabby and down at heel, just out in - to all intents and purposes - the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom